ZX Diesel Starting Problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

princeIII

Post by princeIII »

well, i have noticed a bit of an improvement in the last few days when i give her a bit more time to warm up, however, i need to catch her first time, and floor the accelerator, and even then she sounds like she wants to cut out
nevertheless, i have a plan:
1) insert new proper plugs, then, if not successful,
2) check fuel hose for leaks, then
3) check relay/timer, and failing this,
4) BUY A PETROL CAR
P
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

One thing you should not do, when starting a diesel is 'use any throttle'. They will start quite well on thier own, otherwise you could 'flood/choke' them with excess fuel in the glowplug/swirl chambers.
louis1
My Cars:

Post by louis1 »

Hi Prince
Has the cylinder head ever been off because my one had and the c&^t who done put the shims for the valves(tappets) back wrong this will gives you a hard start and a cloud of unburnt fuel.
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

I've had the same problems starting a 1.9TD (see previous post), and done the glowplug change routine. For me buying a new battery made all the difference. Check the voltage while the plugs are heating, too low a voltage will mean that they won't heat, and give the same symptoms as dead plugs. I got my battery from Partco for ~£34, Halfords wanted £58, and yes it is the right capacity.
Just my experience
Cheers
Duncan