Hydro Pug!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Hydro Pug!!!

Post by dillosk8ter »

Just read that the Pug 405 Mi16 4x4 had rear hydropneumatic suspension?!? Did it sink down and rise on start up? Could ride height be ajusted? What were they like when compared to ordinary 405's to drive?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Yep - they had the BX rear suspension system and the height could be adjusted manually. Never drove a MI16.
Was not a performance suspension - but simply to maintain the correct rideheight for best stability to match the 16V engine.
BTW : Audi, Mercedes, RR & Bentley also have hydro suspension a la Citroen system [;)]
- for best drive comfort.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

I understood that the BX rear suspension was used on the Mi16x4 purely because the rear drive layout didn't fit round the 405 rear suspension.
The BMW 6 series (mkI) also had a brake sphere fitted to high pressure braking system.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Watching Top Gear a while back I noticed what looked suspiciously like a green sphere on a tuned Range Rover.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I seem to remember that some of the Peugeot 205 rallycars hydropneumatic as it enabled rapid damper changes to be made!
Of course the present Xara rallycar has the linked hydraulic suspension from Australia that seems to bear some similarities to BMC Hydrolastic! (I think the difference can be said that the Citroen system does not link the wheels but the BMC one does generally side for side - just like a 2CV!)
jeremy
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

We had a Pug 405 4x4, only had the suspension on the rear I think with the adjuster in the boot. Seemed to remeber it went like stink and cornered like it was on rails
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Does anyone know anything about the self-leveling rear suspension on a Merc W124? It has a hydraulic pump, and supplies fluid to what look like standard rear shocks. The problem with this car is that the rear has gone fairly hard, like a citroen with flat spheres, but I'm not sure if just changing the rear dampers (125quid +vat each from GSF!) will fix it. Any clues?
I would have posted this on the Merc forum, but the last activity on that was about 2 months ago.
citroennut
My Cars:

Post by citroennut »

[quote]<i>Originally posted by fastandfurryous</i>

Does anyone know anything about the self-leveling rear suspension on a Merc W124? It has a hydraulic pump, and supplies fluid to what look like standard rear shocks. The problem with this car is that the rear has gone fairly hard, like a citroen with flat spheres,[/quote hi, you will probably find that the height corrector rod has seized as in citroens, easy and cheap to fix mine in the past have gone, normally puts the rear end high at the same time,i'm with you on the merc forum - get your replies here!! a good check is to load up the rear and then start it up to see if it rises.
cheers
simon
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The JCB Fastrac has self levelling rear suspension.
Have a read of this...
http://www.atl-uk.com/documents/CompanyProfile2005.pdf
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

You can definately get the spheres from E**0carparts but obviously try GSF first, just a simple job if I remember correctly, Jags had a similar thing.
If that is the overfinch range rover, they have used that set up for years with amazing results.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

This merc doesn't have spheres. The damper looks like a standard unit, but with a hydraulic union on it's body. The ride has definitely gone very hard indeed, as noted by going over speed humps. Front is soft and damped, rear is like it has solid lumps of steel between body and suspension arms. If you load the vehicle up, the back end doesn't even drop, it's gone that hard!
I assume something has lost it's charge of gas somewhere, but I can't believe it's 125quid a side to fix that?? Haynes BOL is typically vague about the whole system.
The height of the back of the car appears correct... it could just do with some suspension movement!