Transmission problems - ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sooty
My Cars:

Transmission problems - ZX

Post by sooty »

I had a Topic some weeks ago about a Wheel bearing problem.
Since replacing both front wheel bearings, I still have this noise of a bearing failing and its getting worse.
Presently after running in gear with one wheel off the ground and then the other, it rules out the wheels and points to the gearbox.
The noise is constantly there and increases with speed of the car and does not change with the gears. So it seems its either the Diff or Output shaft bearings.
Can I use a Gearbox from a std 1.9 or has it got to be a TD.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I'm guessing from this that you've checked that it can't be the Long driveshaft intermediate bearing? It makes a right racket when it fails.
If you are in need of a BE3 gearbox, I have one for sale. It came from a 405 TD, but as far as I know the ratios are identical. yours for £40. It's in north dorset, and I can deliver if needs be.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Thanks Dave for your tip and offer.
I forgot about the intermediate righthand shaft bearing, I'll try replacing the final bearing before I take up your offer. I've been told I can only get a bearing on a new replacement Driveshaft assembly.
Is it possible to get a kit with a replacement bearing and collar. Its not listed in GSF Cat.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

It is possible to get that bearing seperately. You will need to very carefully belt it with a hammer to get it off, and then fit the new one with a length of tube that just slides over the driveshaft, and presses on the inner race of the new bearing. I managed to do one of these in about an hour with no problems.
It should be reasonably easy to check this bearing whithout changing it.. You simply grab hold of the shaft and see if it has any movement in it at all. There should be none.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

At present I can't feel any movements in either Driveshafts or any of the bearings in the diff or intermediate housing.
Do you or anyone know the ISO Bearing Ref. No. used by such as FAG or SKF or any of the bearing manufacturers.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Just been using the 'Search' facilty and found that the Intermediate bearing for an Xantia, is Part No. at GSF N43890 or at Citroen 324703.
Is this the same for a ZX.???
[;)]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Same part AFAIK, I changed one on a Xant a couple of weeks ago, under a fiver, the ring needs to be cut off then the new bearing drifted on using a piece of pipe or similar.
Stewart
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Has the collar got to be renewed or its a b*****d to get off. Will I get a new one from Citroen.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

The collar is too tight to remove without cutting it off, in the absence of a handy dealer I fitted the bearing and then raised a burr on the shaft to prevent it moving, okay so far, fingers crossed
Stewart