How to handle the rust?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Anders idea of plywood sounds good to me.. heh heh.. [:o)] [:D]
In my experience rust is always cheap to buy and near nigh impossible to get rid of. [:0] [:I] [B)]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Have you registered on SeMantics ?
- bet these guys will ahve endless SM specific experience ready to help you.
What is the model specifactions of your SM ?
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Maybe Anders wasn't joking about plywood, it has an excellent record as a structural material - try Mosquitoes, Hornets, Venoms; Oh! and there was that car designed by Tony Marsh and Keith Duckworth, the Marcos. You might have trouble convincing the MOT inspector though.
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Sorry, My brain is seizing up. It was the other member of the Cosworth team, Mike Costin, who was responsible with Tony Marsh for the Marcos.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

What about the africar, plywood construction,. GS/2CV? mechanicals, intended for manufacture in africa, where are they now?
Stewart
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

I really feel it would be cheaper to find an SM in france or US with a blown motor too ....
For a UK member to say a car is rusty ..... It must be barely holding itself together, and may well bend in the middle if you attempt to drive it.
Here in Australia when the likes of a CX got a little rust around the lower windscreen edges we considered it a 'parts car'. In the UK you see them with not much left that's *not* rusty (except the windscreen [:D]) and they consider it a 'good one' [:0] [:0]
The alternative is to try and buy in the replacement panels and start stiching them in with a MIG, I imagine buying all the structural panels you need will add up to considerably more than buying a rust free car out of France :(
seeya,
Shane L.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Mike was the engine man, the Cos of Cosworth (With Keith Duckworth) Frank was the brilliant aerodynamicist, responsible for the Vanwall, Lotus XI and the Marcos.
He also produced a formula 2 car (The Protos) and the Costin Nathan, both with plywood monocoques.
Having seen the latter, The workmanship is stunning. Anybody interested should find a copy of "Flying on four wheels", his autobiography.