xantia front suspension top mounts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

WORDAVE
My Cars:

xantia front suspension top mounts

Post by WORDAVE »

my n/s front suspension mount has disintergrated is this normal it doent look very strong,is it awkward to do,or can i just take the top nut off and drop the part down,[?]
xantiaBFY
My Cars:

Post by xantiaBFY »

better do it before this happens.[}:)]
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

OOps
sbraud
My Cars:

Post by sbraud »

Ouch.... That’s not pretty !! [xx(][xx(]
Did my O/S last month for the same reason. It has corroded 180 degrees. Seeing this makes me glad I did too. Think I’ll do N/S soon as it's original and can’t be far behind. [?]
Saw a thread from NiSk, I think, last month. It said there was some problem with the manufacture of top plate which made it prone to corrode.
Dave,
It’s easy to do and quick too. I did it in a few hours and you should see the slow speed I work at! [;)] You might want to sort out strut soonest.
I’m assuming it’s a Xantia we’re talking about. If you do a search on strut replacement you’ll find lots of help. I can post details if you need more.
Cheers
Steve
Cheers
ITMA
My Cars:

Post by ITMA »

I have just looked at mine and the O/S looks decidedly dodgy (pushed a key through in one place).[xx(]
Are new struts a Citroen only part, and therefore very expensive, or can aftermarket ones be bought? I couldn't see anything in the GSF catalogue so is the only alternative a visit to the scrap yard for a long search?[:(]
Thanks [:D]
sbraud
My Cars:

Post by sbraud »

Hi ITMA,
GSF part no N43462/4
Cheers
Steve
ITMA
My Cars:

Post by ITMA »

Hi Steve,
Thanks for part number. Eventually found it after trying several combinations - you need to drop the "/4" on the GSF search.[:)]
At £140 (presumably plus VAT) per side I will have to decide if the old bus is worth it[:(]
It's nice to know that this site has such a great following of enthuiasts who are prepared to put something in. Haven't found many sites as good. Keep up the good work guys[:D]
Chris
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

At £140 a piece I'd very carefully look into repairing the existing ones or getting new top mounts made up.
What sbraud meant about the part numbers was N43462 and N43464, i.e. two part numbers one for left one for right.
ErikDK

Post by ErikDK »

I recently bought two 96 Xantias and almost all cars (more than 15) I looked at had problems with the front suspension top mount. Several of the cars had actually had an accident like the one shown here - for some reason (money I guess) the owners had only replaced the one broken - I will highly recommend changing the other as well! I have new ones in our cars now.
I visited a workshop here in Denmark and they had more than 50 of these broken top mounts - they hope to find a way of renovating them but have not yet succeded in this. A few years ago thay have not seen this damage so it appears that when the Xantia gets around 8 years old we have to carefully check the condition of the top mount (at least with the climate we have here in DK).
It very simple to check - just look at the bottom of the top mount - typically the rubber gets loose at the edge where it is supposed to be fixed on the steel plate - most often you can see it directly and feel it with your fingers - if the rubber is loose I recommend changing the topmount.
So now it's time to go checking the cars!
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Guys,
it's not just corrosion. In Australia there's not such thing as corrosion, yet these top mounts have been known to fail (possibly heat/humidity also affects them ??).
seeya,
Shane L.
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

I don't know why you Xant owners are getting in a tizzy, that photo is of an XM (gulp!).
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

There has been a couple of Xantias in australia that have popped there strut through the bonnet (it's **ugly**).
seeya,
Shane L.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

its probably rubber perishes so i very much dought you could repair old ones unless you have acsses to rubber moulding plant,also i have not cecked price of new mounts,but you dont have to replace hole strut just top mount regards malcolm
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

They are pretty straightforward to change considering other hydraulic components can be an absolute nightmare to replace e.g. the front height corrector!
Personally there is no way I would pay £280 for a pair, that is just crazy, I'd rather buy another xantia for that!
I would just source a couple in good condition from a scrap yard, will cost around £60 the pair!!
Chrispy
My Cars:

Post by Chrispy »

Re citronut, so you can just change the top mount? That's the round steel bit with the rubber attached I take it? Mine are starting to look a little brown/ rusty, but I prodded them and they appear to be solid. When they do need replacing it would be nice to know that the whole strut doesn't need renewing. At £140 a pop that would sting a little...