C4 ... is it that good?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

138 BHP HDi, that does 50 MPG?? I'm in there soon as I can afford it - I even like the styling - if I had the cash I'd be down the dealer today (in fact I am struggling NOT to go down the stealer, even though I DON'T have the cash....) Restraint..... Ah, I know I just need to get my Dad to buy one, then I can have it in a few years, looked after with low mileage, at trade in price (I already have dibs on his Xsara HDi, although given disparaging comments on here about boringness of that motor, perhaps I'll pass and let my Sister have it).
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

I may do that with my dad I know he likes the look of them but the problem with him is he would keep it for 10 years! Still it will have been serviced and pollished well when I get it, even if it is 10 years old!
alena

Post by alena »

Autorevue.cz, one of the most respected web motor magazine in the Czech Republic have recently tested a C4 SX with 1.4 petrol engine (http://www.autorevue.cz/Automobilka/AR.asp?ARI=5147). Their only positive comment was that it was a nice looking car with creative interior. Rest of the car was one big disappointment: sluggish noisy engine in comparison with other 1.4 of C4's class, poor gearchanges, cheap looking upholstery which was shabby despite the car had 7 kkm on the clock, noisy suspension which was quite stable in sharp bends on smooth surface but was very unsettled on undulating roads, very firm suspension, doors which sounded like a can when shut, etc. They said the car was miles behind it's new competitors in almost all respects. Also people in forum had similar experience and not only with 1.4 version.
For me the biggest drawback of the C4 is it's very firm suspension which is unacceptable for Citroen!
AlWilliams
My Cars:

Post by AlWilliams »

Yep, they are that good.
I run a Volcane TD at present and decided to try out the 3dr 2.0 HDI VTS, very impressive, pulls like a train is very precise and controlled and is able to attain positively dangerous speeds on roundabouts and other twisty places[:D]
Compared to the rivals, well, they are getting so close abiltiy wise it's horses for courses.
I love the VTS, just got to rack up my work mileage by a few K and i'll be smiling[;)]
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

I've tried a few C4's now - 1.6 HDi 110, 2.0 HDi VTS, 1.6 16v petrol and the 2.0 VTS petrol and they are a nice car - the interiors are good, there is some genuine innovation present and they seem well put together. I also had a look at the new Focus which is totally bland inside and out by comparision and for all their harping on about the quality of it I was sorely disappointed.
Why didn't I buy one? Primary reasons - the 2.0 HDi models are overpriced at £18k, and even with the cashbacks bringing them just below £17k that I couldn't stomach the fact that realistically its going to shed £10k in 3 years, coupled with the fact the same £17k would get me a new Mondeo 2.2 ST TDCi specced to a similar level which would be faster, roomier and hold its value marginally better, or a Golf GT TDI which would shed about half the amount the C4 does over 3 years. I wasn't that impressed with the 2.0 HDi - not as quick as my Mondeo TDCi although it is more refined and the gearchange on the 6 speed box was a notchy mess.
I might consider a used one when the values drop below a bit.
pantherd90

Post by pantherd90 »

He has a valid point, Citroen could really do with more realistic pricing and cars that don't lose value so rapidly..
I agree on the Focus as well, quite liked the old one, but the new is a change for the worse..
Oh well, I say the C4 could be the next ZX, just need it cheaper..
pantherd90

Post by pantherd90 »

Something interesting I've just found...
We could be seeing a C4 Saloon ;) Bye bye C5?
http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/sp ... age_7.html
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

no we must let citroens depreciate quickly.... otherwise how would i afford them!