1.9td starting probs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sooty
My Cars:

1.9td starting probs

Post by sooty »

As mentioned some weeks ago my son was changing his head gasket on his 306td. This has been done with a re-skimmed head etc.
As he brought this car cheaply with the gasket blown, it appears to be hard to start and cannot find any reason why. Also it appears to have a bluey white smoke when cold, which I think is signs of pump timing being retardted??. Listed below are the things checked.
1) Pump, camshaft and flywheel timing mechanically dowelled up.
2) Heat plugs all new and tested with a battery.
3) Heater plug relay in working order and tested with a meter at 11 volts for approx 30secs.
4) New filter.
5) As far as compression tests go without a compression gauge, all four cylinders appear to have reasonable compressions.
My ZX has Lucas fuel system, his 306 has Bosch system. One thing appears to help is pumping the bulb with the ignition on, as if you are bleeding or priming the system. But if air is getting in, no fuel leaks are seen, or could the fuel be running back.
Where if fitted are any valves to prevent the fuel running back towards the tank and where is the auto bleed valve positioned if any.
Any tips, please [;)]
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

With my (limited) experience of these xud engines, I would recheck the fuel filter gasket -as the slightest air leak will cause poor starting ( there will be no sign of a fuel leak, as the pump is "sucking" the fuel from the tank. (try using some clear pipe from the filter to the pump... any air bubbles will then be obvious) good luck!!
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

Yes - also if it is one of the older ones with a primer button on the fuel filter mount, rather than an in-line rubber bulb, then check that the diaphragm isn't knackered.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

It has inline bulb in the same place as my ZX.
But worries us more, is about the bluey white smoke at start up, until it warms up.??
As I don't have an adaptor for my Dial indicator to mount at the rear of the pump to check the actual pump timing, could I use a vernier.??
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I would replace the leak off pipes and stop ends first of all, the smallest crack here will cause misfires and smoking at startup, if you can verify spill off timing using a dial gauge well and good, is there evidence of the fuel pump having been disturbed? how does the car run/drive once started?
Stewart
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Once started it runs fine and once warmed up there is no visible smoke apart when you power up onto boost, even then its no worse than my ZX.
Its as though the heater plugs are not working, yet they are. He has to turn over at least a dozen times or more before it catches and starts.
Can I use a vernier to measure the pump timing, instead of a dial indicator as I dont have an adaptor to mount it. ??
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Your problem sounds like air getting into the system. Don't expect to see fuel leaking out, but air will still leak in. If it starts after priming the system by pumping the bulb, it's fairly certain that you need to find the air leak.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Still sounds like air to me. have you replaced the last pipe to the injection pump with a legth of transparent plastic so that you can see the air?
Another point - is the cold start device working. It should be activated by the cable from the waxstat device near the thermostat (same as roto-diesel). Quite what happens at the pump I don't know but it should advance the timing - the purpose of which is to increase the idle slightly (to 1000 rpm or so) and prevent smoke emmissions.
jeremy.