Citroen ZX Smoke

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sponix
My Cars:

Citroen ZX Smoke

Post by sponix »

Have a Citroen ZX 1.4 which gives out white/grey smoke for the first five minutes after starting from cold. The smoke then clears.
Any ideas/things to look for?
(No sign of water in the oil/oil in the water and all levels remain constant so pretty sure it's not a problem with the head gasket.)
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

is it very light wispy smoke that is blown away almost instantly? if so, this is simply wet on the inside of the exhaust which is being heated up by the hot exhaust gas, and evaporating. Once it gets out of the end of the exhaust pipe, it condenses in the air, and looks like clouds coming out of the exhaust pipe. It only lasts 5 minutes as by then, the exhaust is dry. Quite common on many cars, especially at this time of year.
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

Yeh, if the gasket and rings are ok then it'll be steam. Injection/carb cleaners will also give you white/grey smoke.
sponix
My Cars:

Post by sponix »

Hmmmm...now you mention it it does seem worse in damp weather.
I'll see if it improves in the summer (Assuming we actually get a summer of course..)
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

Well if you haven't noticed a change in drivability there hopefully isn't anything wrong.
Always worth posting stuff your unsure about on here anyway, you never know there might be a general fault that would of caused this.