Comfort spheres for Xantia ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Wallace
To get back to your original question:
You can fit spheres to your car that are intended for the 1.6/1.9D cars. These will give a noticable improvement in comfort, that is exactly what I've done with my car. Replace the LHM and clean the filters at the same time.
Don't waste time and money on trying spheres not intended for the Xantia. I tried spheres intended for the BX which were larger volume, higher pressure and softer damped. The result was no noticable improvement in comfort (over the 1.6/1.9D spheres) but the ride became wallowy with lots of roll.
It's probably also worth looking at other components/factors. If the strut action is not very smooth then they will need lubricating (search this site for info). If the rear suspension creaks then the swing arm bearings are past their best. The ride height needs to be correct to give maximum comfort. Cheap quality tyres also have an adverse effect.
Hope this of use.
Mark
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Rostami,
The rear of my non-HA Xantia just slips away almost every day, in the city, and in dry ground! In wet it is terrible. The Activa is much much worse.
I don't really push it in terms of speed, I drive at low speeds - I just almost don't use the brake while cornering.
In the old days I used to do some rally and learned how to letting it slip away without losing control.
My previous car (a very light and compact Citroen Saxo 1.6 16V 120Hp), slipped away almost in every corner (with ultra-grip Michelin Sport tyres!). Only lost control two times, and made complete turns. The Xantia non-HA has much more body-roll, poor handling, and less stability, but is much more safer while cornering.
I might consider putting comfort spheres on my HDI as well...
Does any one know where I can find a complete chart with the specifications of the Xantia mk2 spheres by model? Just found one for Xantia mk1.
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Andy, what do you mean, "no road car has proper independent suspension at the moment"? Are you referring to the interaction of the anti roll bar and cross hydraulic connections?
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

The roll bar on all cars transfers suspension movement from one side of the car to the other when driving and hiting a bump ware one side of the car is effected and not the other. its been a problem of car manufacturers for a long time. by making the ARB stupidly soft this probelm goes away but the car wont handel properly round a corner (the suspension will automaticaly botom out the suspension on one side of the car).
Andy