Speakers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mezuk04
My Cars:

Speakers

Post by mezuk04 »

Anyone know of any cheapish really good quality speakers that can take a beating from someone who plays there music loud and always seems capable of popping all 6x9's at some point including Wilkobobs (sorry), if i win the lottery i may even replace the front door ones to but mainly the 6x9s for the moment.
Regards
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

JBL or vibe. any of there medium range speekers should do it may be that your blowing speekers because your driving the amp too hard not because the speekers cant take it. the amp starts clipping when pushed beond its limits and this can cause real problems with speekers. my sujestion would be to get a small 2 chanal amp and a good set of 6X9's look for ferofluid cooling as part of the speck (will make it so the speekers can get over abuse faster).
Remember the amp in your radio is only designed to do so much after that things start getting expensive.
Andy
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Personally I 'd go for Pioneer / Sony. They're cheap and also reliable. Then again I only listen to Radio Two. Mind they did play teenage kicks (under tones) this morning and some Chemical Brothers last week (late night).
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

I’ve managed to kill some pretty decent HiFi speakers with loud music (chemical brothers about 7 years ago) managed to kill the tweeter in my kef Q55's and B&W 602's both these are manufactured to withstand something like 800 watts RMS through the tweeters the 602's have 1 and a half KG magnets at the back of them (the tweeter this is) and are ferofluid cooled. I personally feel that Vibe stand to manage the same sort of quality and volume as hifi speakers the JBL are infinity’s cheaper brother (part of the Harman group) and some how normally manage to beat the power handling of the infinity’s and almost everything else in SPL tests.
After saying all this I have to warn you that listening to music levels at the sort of volume ware you kill speakers is not good for you at all. At about 19 I found that at certain SLP levels my hearing completely cut out and now and then I get pains in my ears for no apparent reason. My 602's now spend most of there time between 0 and 2 on my Sony amp, I use to be able to rattle the cables in the walls of my parents house when I had it loud in the past (around 5-7 on my old amp) and it only got worse when I bought a rel storm :D.
You have been warned
And there is noting wrong with radio 2 was working on the house last week with my dad and listen to it all day every day during that time, I now miss it at work and I cant use the web to listen to it because the company wont allow streaming audio.
Andy
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

before you buy any off the shelf take a look at http://www.mcs-direct.co.uk/ they usually have good deals on ICE they also have a few e-mail address you could send the question too.
FDV
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by FDV »

JL Audio, Audiobahn, Alpine or Infinity are the superior makes.
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

Pioneer does it for me, the problem is I can feel the entire car vibrating when turned up, and I keep on turning the vol down thinking the car's playing up ....
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Now I 'm older I get to play the <b>WHO</b> (wont get fooled again!) on my old Technic's seperate system on full blast [8D]. I don't worry about hurting my hearing as my brain was mashed in the 80's by POP/RAVE culture. So I can't remember my old man telling me to turn it down. [8D]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

What are you using to drive them?
As ActivaV6 so rightly says, if you push the amp to clipping, its just like feeding DC to the speakers - I dont think any make of speaker would sound so good after being connected directly across a car battery . . .
//NiSk