ZX 1.4I Reflex

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lighteninguk

ZX 1.4I Reflex

Post by lighteninguk »

Hi all!
I have a ZX 1.4I (KDX Engine) and am having some troubles in the engine dept. . Although the problem is tempermental it lets you know its there with the way it drives.
On starting from hot and cold the car is fine. Idle is fine although it has once or twice idled with the revs going up and down (from the actuator on the throttle body) but that hasent happend that many times. The main problem is when driving, Most of the time it runs fine without problems, but sometimes whilst going along and you apply throttle and the car slows more, release the accelerator and the car goes as it was before, apply the throttle again and the car slows (even with the throttle all the way to the floor) after having the throttle on for a while the engine will suddenly realise its ment to wake up when you apply the throttle and it will jump back into action (often causing a jerk).
Have read this forum through and through, and cant decide weather the car <i>does</i> have a MAP sensor, because i do have some tubing going from the back of the throttle head along to the drivers side wing where it plugs into a small unit with wires going into it but where im unsure is that this unit then has another bit of tubing leading to under the car, thinking about it... fuel line possibly?
Please help as i have plenty of time to do stuff to the car (Other half went to china for 3 weeks) and would like to get this sorted, I have some background knowlage from fixing an old 1985 VW Polo (whos Haynes wiring digagram i could actually understand unlike this ZX [:p])
Thanks!
Edd
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

the MAP sensor should be bolted near the O/S/F strut inner wing area.
some early 1.4i,s suffered with faulty throttle bodies,a new one used to be about £350!
SGarvey
My Cars:

Post by SGarvey »

Hope you get an answer as i have same car, same model,same problem!!!
Changed throttle body and stepper motor on mine already.
Hope that black thingy on inside wing is MAP sensor as thats getting changed next!!
Regards
Simon
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

the MAP sensor is about two and a half inches by 2 inches in size,has a three/four pin plug on it and a rubber hose off it going to the injection unit.
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

I think what will be best is if i take a picture of the thing in the D/S wing and post it here, and see if any of you guys can identify it i do remember it does have Bosch stamped on it. ill be back in a bit or so with pictures and a mental image of where everything leads.
Edd
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

Below is the image of the thing found in the drivers side wing, the bottom tube goes into the back of the throttle body (towards the back of the car). the top tube goes into the wing and possibly into a big tube type thing.
As i write this i am reading the haynes manual in chapter 4 part D it talks about Emission control systems, and that seems to think that this bigger tube could be a Charcoal canister. and reading more (i should of read all of this before posting. the item i took a picture of is a "Single Purge Valve" which is what controls the gasses coming from the Charcoal canister heading to the throttle body to be burnt off. This valve only opens up when the engine is warmed up so that these gasses can get burnt off in normal combustion. looking at my canister, i have a nossle with no tube connected. im now on a tube hunt!
ill pop back later.
Edd
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

Well found no tube, but nossle doesnt look like its ever had anything connected. I also started the engine, and after warming up a bit the nossle on the canister does suck slightly, so i am accepting that that could be the way its ment to be?
Any other ideas from people? Throttle potentiomoter? Crankshaft Sensor (as this is a MA3.0 system)
Thanks all who replied so far!
Edd
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

nope!! not that, its nearer to the strut.
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SGarvey</i>

Hope you get an answer as i have same car, same model,same problem!!!
Changed throttle body and stepper motor on mine already.
Hope that black thingy on inside wing is MAP sensor as thats getting changed next!!
Regards
Simon
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
SGarvery, Having doing a visual check today and everything seems to be happy, i got fed up and went and bought a Gunsons Fault Finder (i know you can do it by shorting a pin to earth but only had me there so liked the idea of having LED etc) It came up with 3 errors for me, 22 21 and 27 which is Idle speed control valve, throttle position sensor/idle and Vehicle speed sensor. i am going to look over them tomorrow. could be worth for you to check your error codes (ignoring the 12 and 11 code as their start and finish codes).
Does anyone know of a way to check the Idle Controll stepper motor?
Edd
pancho
My Cars:

Post by pancho »

Hi All
I am also a ZX owner (Avantage 1.4 1993) and I am having the same problem as lighteninguk. After searching on the internet I also found this thread
http://www.fordmondeo.org/ubbthreads/sh ... n/0/page/0
which may be the solution to the problem. Is that "Idle speed actuator" the same thing as this on the picture that lighteninguk provided ? Are there any solutions yet ?
Thanks
Pancho
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

well since writing that post i've been playing around with the idle control systems on the car, and have put a good post on a thread on this forum
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=13916