XUD lower Engine Mount

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Yeah but im on about just generally cutting small amounts of metal in hard to reach places on a car, they crop up all the time. A dremel is the most versatile tool, but totally useless for cutting steel (or generally cutting), after that you have to resolve to hack saw blades on there own and other such useless stuff. I nice small 1" angle grinder would be pretty cool, so long as the body aint too huge!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Sounds like what is needed is one of those little air driven hacksaws, now, Stan next door has the compressor, Louis has the air hacksaw I think......................
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sounds ideal!
Jeremy
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

BIG HAMMER![:D]
Stewart
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Since a jigsaw wouldn't get at it with the engine still in place, would a sabre-saw with a good steel cutting blade work instead?
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

My only problem with blades cutting the outer ring is that whilst the steel bit will cut slowly we all know that the alloy bit will cut like butter! and thats the part we want to keep, The hammer and chisel method (which was taught to me as part of my apprenticeship) certainly doesnt waste any time, an engineers vice will press the new one into place without difficulty.
Stewart
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

you all know i'm mental for doing exsessive amounts of DIY but this sounds like an awful lot of work when a pug garage will do it for you for a very good price (argue if you have to ive had more than one done for £5 a piece)...
Andy
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oilyspanner</i>

My only problem with blades cutting the outer ring is that whilst the steel bit will cut slowly we all know that the alloy bit will cut like butter! and thats the part we want to keep, The hammer and chisel method (which was taught to me as part of my apprenticeship) certainly doesnt waste any time, an engineers vice will press the new one into place without difficulty.
Stewart
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I've not done this particular one, but my view is that a carefully operated hand tool (i.e. an ordinary hacksaw, once the bit that holds the bush is on the bench not on the car) will minimise the problem of totally f*****ing the alloy bit that the bush pushes into.
Power tools are great, but when cutting steel that's pressed into alloy.......
Cheers
JohnW
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

No problem doing it on the car - keep the blade parallel to the sleeve and make sure you don't tip at the ends - then look at it when you're nearly through. Didn't even nick the alloy on mine!
I would have done it with a jig saw if I'd been able to get it in and would have reconed to be able to avoid the alloy with a bit of care.
jeremy