Diesel xantia poor starting - solved!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dieselxantiaman
My Cars:

Diesel xantia poor starting - solved!

Post by dieselxantiaman »

For once I'm posting on a forum with an answer rather than a problem!
Apologies if this has been covered before but my xantia has been plagued by intermittent non-starting, especially if parked nose down-hill, and only starting once primed with the handpump. She recently developed a fuel leak which I traced to the rubber return hose (I think that's what it is) that goes from the top of the fuel pump, down the back of the engine, makes a little U-bend, then joins to a metal tube and runs to the back of the car (in parallel with the feed line). A combination of heat & age had caused it to perish. After much cursing with my hand down the back of the engine I managed to replace it and she hasn't failed to start yet. It's just strange that it must have been letting in air but hadn't been allowing fuel to leak out for months.
Now if I could just get the CL to stop unlocking as soon as it locks, I really must get that door card off sometime! [:D]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I had the NS front motor go on my BX - (no plip) When I locked it from the drivers door with the key it would immediately unlock. If I locked the NS door with the button I could lock the car.
There are 2 types of motors used - one has internal switches (doors with keys,) others don't (back doors.)
There are other switches in the locks - which can cause problems but these may show up in the door open lights if you have them as they are connected. I still have a small problem if I lock the car from the near side (seldom used) as the thing unlocks first time but I think this is due to the door switch.
Remmber if you have a plip the NS door is intentionally dead as the contacts it uses on the controller are used by the plip. I don't know which motor is used in the front door. It doesn't need the one with a switch but of course may be fitted with one for production reasons. If this is the case there may be a spare with good contacts there. (switched (front) have 5 wires, non switched have 2? (perhaps3)
jeremy