Air getting into Xantia brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You're right - hadn't looked at the age of your car - 1993 won't have anti-sink - and will have single outlet pump and FDV like a BX, but not the same pump I think.
Accumulator isn't quite so important as the pump should have a high output available for the brakes. Ticking should still be 30 secs.
jeremy
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

However you might have the infamous plactic pump! - look at this thread - may be worth seeing if you have one of these and if the inlet of yours is still sound if you have.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=5176
Jeremy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Just to clarify : the ticking of 30 second means a ticking interval (time between each tick) to be <font color="red"><i><b>at least</b></i></font id="red"> 30seconds. The longer time the better.
nridley
My Cars:

Post by nridley »

The time between each tick is more than 30 seconds once warmed up. However, when the car is cold the tick is constant for about a minute or so whilst the suspension rises and levels out. I've just done some 'citroebics' but am just having a bite to eat before testing the brakes out.
Incidently, when I press the brake pedal down hard I get a hissing noise from the actual pedal - is this normal?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I don't get any noise at all on my BX - suggests to me air/fluid mix is compressing when you apply the brakes and you hear it rush through the doseur valve.
Jeremy
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

If you push the pedal hard you'll get a quick 'suck' noise when you release it. Every Citroën I've had has done it so I consider it normal.
nridley
My Cars:

Post by nridley »

Right folks - here is the latest.
By pressing the brake pedal right down and releasing it about ten times in a row, then performing a Citroen dance in the middle of the driveway appears to make the brakes perform better. However, this is only briefly because after a few minutes driving (and braking) the delay appears to return. They appear to get 'so bad' and then do not get any worse. I haven't re-bled them again since I had the hydraflush put in last week. Is there a chance that there is air still in there that didn't get bled out then? Remember, they were perfect straight afterwards. I have no LHM (or I should say hydraflush at the moment) leaks whatsoever.
The delay is probably less than half a second which is far better than the two seconds I used to get!
Also, when braking hard from, say, 70mph, I still get a pulsing as I slow down. Is this likely to be the same problem? The general feeling I got last time I asked this question on here is that it is normal and I should get used to it! It just doesn't feel safe!!
I think the car really is going to have to go soon regardless as I should be getting a company car within a few weeks. Apart from the ongoing brake saga it is immaculate, so if anyone knows what reasonable value the car has please let me know.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The main value of an old comes from the fact that it runs without needing work doing and that it has a long MOT.
Your Xantia, sadly is probably not worth more than £200-£300 even though it is a good car and economical etc. Its scary how quickly these things depereciate, my '97 Xantia cost me about 2k and I'd be lucky to get half of that now. Have a look on Auto Trader to get an idea of what cars like yours sell for.