AX 1.5D Timing Prob

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DarkendViper

AX 1.5D Timing Prob

Post by DarkendViper »

Hi All,
I've got a problem with my AX. When I peg it up to check the timing it all lines up, however on the pulley you can see that the bolts have been undone and moved round.
When I set this to the original position it won't fire up. If I move it the other way it smokes madly at idle and even moreso on the move.
General symptoms are: getting about 300 miles to a tankful. If you are sat at lights you get a nice diesel smell. Runs out of power at about 80ish. Can get to 90 with a hill and tailwind :)
I've been told that the diesel pump is on it's way out. However I was also told that a diesel pump either stops working completely or is working perfectly, no inbetween. I personally think that due to it have moving parts it can wear.
Could anyone shed anylight on what it could be. I leaning towards diesel pump, but part of me is hoping it's not and is a cheap fix.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Ste
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

The diesel pump mounts on slotted holes, theres a small amount of adjustment here, try rotating the pump a few degrees, a small amount can make a big difference, When my pump packed up the vehicle would not start unless towed, the pump made a whining noise too, it was an old roto one.
Stewart