Best Citroën seats

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

C'mon guys,
none of you are even close. DS seats without doubt are the most comfortable car seat you will ever sit in. Even the back seat, you most certainly will NEVER fit them into a later Citroen, they are HUGE arm chair like objects.
I HATE the seats fitted to our BX19tri with a passion, they are simply the worst Citroen seats I've ever sat on. The black leater seats in our Xantia look nice, but I find them quite average.
Some CX seats are really good, we have an early '76 wagon and it's seats are excellent, I also have a '78 CX2400pallas with gorgious looking leather seats (identical design to the wagons seat) yet they don't have enough lower back support. The CX turbo cloth seats are excellent, however they sit quite low and really hug you. Old people will find them very hard to get in and out of (maybe putting the car on high would help).
I don't know what's happened at Citroen, all cars before the BX had brilliant seats, even my '63 ID vinyl seats made locally that you can only slide forward and back (they have no other adjustments) are vastly more comfortable than the BX/Xantia seats.
What's going on Citroen ??
seeya,
Shane L.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

DS front seats? Have I only sat in some low price version of the ID/DS? To me the front bench seat was like sitting in an LT bus or underground train!
I've driven my XM för over 6 hours non-stop (its a TD) so that says something for the seat comfort.
However, and this is guaranteed to start an argument, the most comfortable car seats I have sat in where in a Renault 16 - they where really like sitting in a very comfortable armchair (on wheels!)
//NiSk
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

I cant comment on other citroen seats but the leather ones in my 9000 are very comfy though the aero ones are nicer??
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NiSk</i>

DS front seats? Have I only sat in some low price version of the ID/DS? To me the front bench seat was like sitting in an LT bus or underground train!
I've driven my XM för over 6 hours non-stop (its a TD) so that says something for the seat comfort.
However, and this is guaranteed to start an argument, the most comfortable car seats I have sat in where in a Renault 16 - they where really like sitting in a very comfortable armchair (on wheels!)
//NiSk
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Having driven a slough '59 DS19 with a bench seat recently I can't help but agree. The silly brainless slough factory fitted a real ordinary locally made bench seat in place of the brilliant french armchairs.
C'mon guys, am I the only person here that's driven a DS or any sort ??
seeya,
Shane L.
leonard1
My Cars:

Post by leonard1 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

The seats in the AX Dimension are bl***y awful.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes the AX seats are poor, and mine have a whole in.
I've got a Saxo too and the drivers seat is so much better.
Changing topic slightly are the the replacement covers you can get from Argos any good as I don't use the AX that much and just want cheapy new cover?
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

As you can see from this picture, XM Exclusive Mk2 electric/leather seats are superb and provide excellent adjustable lateral support.
Despite what others may say, the only Citroen seats with this lateral suport level are the Xantia mk2 Activa leather/electric seats. In fact, the Xantia seats are even better - the best ever made by Citroen, at all levels, including the leather quality.
GS, SM, and CX GTi seats had much less lateral support.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Here is a picture of Xantia mk2 Activa's electric/leather seats with the best lateral support ever. The support may seem exagerated and ugly, but take a seat, drive a little, and you can't live without them.
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

With just about every seat made by Cit getting at least one vote (except for the AX), it seems very much a case of beauty being in the eye (or bum) of the beholder. For me, getting into my old GS was bliss and I find my current seats, XM mk2 leather with three levels of heating, more comfortable than our armchairs.
AthlonZX
My Cars:

Post by AthlonZX »

BX 16valve seats for me. I've never sat in another car that offers the same support and comfort from it's seats like it. My Aura TD seats are ok but I'd love to swap them for a nice set from a late-plate volcane [:D]
AthlonZX(Dave)
Citroen ZX Aura TD K-1993 134410 miles [:)]
dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Post by dillosk8ter »

I like the seats in both of my Citroen's, find them both comfy....but flawed....the ZX is relativly firm and flat/unsculpted which is fine for short/medium length trips but longer jaunts give me backache in base of spine. The BX has the standard seats which are quite sculpted in comparison with the ZX and squishy and plush with tweedy trim that feels nice!! But this quirky, hollowed shape plus backrest that doesn't ajust forward enough for me gets me constantly twidling ajusters to no avail {are the GTI seats any better as prob can get hold of some v.easily}. But out of the two I find the BX better.
Xantia's standard seats are comfy enough but the exagerated backwards tilt of the top half of backrest makes me lean forward a bit, perhaps this is just a case of gettin accustomed.
I would put my money on the DS Pallas 'sofa' seating being the best!
HaydnR
My Cars:

Post by HaydnR »

I find the seats in my mk2 99 xantia sx terrible. If anyone had some decent replacements I would be interested as this is the only grumble I have with the car.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

I find that the phase 2 (and 1) Activa seats can seriously hurt you when cornering hard (we are talking full electric leather with the inflatable side support and upper lower lumber support (I have one in bits at the moment if any one wants pictures to see how the work).
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The BX has the standard seats which are quite sculpted in comparison with the ZX and squishy and plush with tweedy trim that feels nice!! But this quirky, hollowed shape plus backrest that doesn't ajust forward enough for me gets me constantly twidling ajusters to no avail {are the GTI seats any better as prob can get hold of some v.easily}.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
BX GTi/TZ seats are better than the standard ones, I think, so long as they still have some "give" in the seat base. If they don't they can get a bit uncomfortable over an extended journey. Does your driver's seat have the double adjuster dillosk8ter - i.e. seat base angle as well as seat back rake angle? This can make a bit of difference.
dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Post by dillosk8ter »

Nah, just the back rake adjuster...doesn't seem to move forward enough in angle or on runners so always quite a distance from the wheel. There again, I always notice more if I've been using the ZX for a while....so perhaps Im moaning about nothing!!
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

ActivaV6uk - the seat you have in bits, I'd be interested to see pictures of the subframe. I've another thread on this forum running about the differences between the seat on the left and that on the right hand side of Mk1 Xantias. I have a theory, based on the extra re-enforcing and sub padding rails - found only in the left hand seat - that this is by design the drivers seat and someone decided not to transfer the stronger design to the other side (right hand side) for UK destined vehicles (or for other drive on left or RHD countries). The seat on the right is definitely softer, with less 'bucket seat' attributes, unlike that on the left.