EuroStazi State want spy in every car

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

er they can track how fast you drive (down motorways and a roads)i use a traffic system called traffic master that tells you about traffic hold ups ahead (it was actually fitted as standard on some Xantia's).
apparently the way it works is that they have little boxes fitted to motorway bridges which monitor all the car registration plates as they go past....they send the signals back to a central computer that works out how fast you are traveling from the time it takes you to travel between bridges.....then if cars are slowing down to 30mph it alerts traffic approaching that part that traffic is slowing down....... the government is currently in negotiation with trafficmaster to buy/hire the technology of them
i have attached a link that explains a little bit more
http://www.plasmon.com/downloads/pdf/trafficmaster.pdf
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

I'll stick to my humble Deuche. Even that now has electronic ignition though!
As I work in IT, the idea of relying on technology terrifies me! Have you ever driven a smart? Slowest gearchange in the world because it's all electronic.
Maybe that's why I don't like flying either...
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Forth</i>

The black boxes in cars are expected to cost between £200 and £300 but drivers might be able to reduce their motoring insurance if they can use the recorders to prove they do not drive fast or at night.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Now, I have had a large number of "accidents", into double figures even. But not one was at night and not one was while I was (or due to me) exceeding the speed limit.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The equipment would also include “eCall” technology to ring for police and an ambulance automatically in the event of an accident. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The mobile phone networks had better improve then. Imagine being involved in a serious RTC in central London (mentioned in a recent article as having very poor cellphone coverage) and everyone passing you by because they think your car has called for help.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>

You can be tracked by your mobile phone, GSM can be used to give a rough position and an average speed.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
But I can turn my mobile off. In fact the great minds (yes, sarcasm) at Think! are encouraging me to do so.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I think black boxes linked to insurance premiums would be a good thing, especially if the box could detect bad driving and financially punish the perpetrator appropriately.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Define bad driving?
Will these boxes be able to tell where the driver is looking?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by weety</i>

apparently the way it works is that they have little boxes fitted to motorway bridges which monitor all the car registration plates as they go past....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I always thought they just clocked the volume of traffic (tally) rather than numer plate recognition..... blow - quick break out the false plates (as available on ebay!).
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Homer</i>
Define bad driving?
Will these boxes be able to tell where the driver is looking?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
As examples of bad driving, on my way home last night there was the usual complement of queue jumpers using the wrong lanes on roundabouts to avoid queues, using the right hand lane on a round about to turn left where the road markings EXPLICITY prohibit it is bad driving. Turning right at a roundabout, as I moved from the inside to outside lane prior to leaving somebody sounded their horn at me, having joined at the entrance after I did, leaving after the entrance I was they didn't like the fact that I was obstructing them from overtaking me even though the highway code expressly forbids it.
Then there are people who go through red lights, people who tailgate, people who use the left hand lane to overtake, people who pull out of junctions in front of you.
Do you really need more examples?
The black boxes will never be able to detect what I've listed above. Most likely they'll log speeds, journey times and g forces and that will be all.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>

road markings EXPLICITY prohibit it is bad driving. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Sorry to go off topic but lane markings are advisory not compulsory.
It is advisable to follow them but it is not explicity prohibited to, for instance, use a left only lane to go straight on.
If you were then involved in a collision it would count against you though.
I find many times problems on the roads are caused by a false belief that the highway code has some legal standing. It does not, it is a code and should be treat with some flexibility where appropriate. The only bits with any legal force behind them have a big red MUST in the rule.
DervDonkey
My Cars:

Post by DervDonkey »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> always thought they just clocked the volume of traffic (tally) rather than numer plate recognition..... blow - quick break out the false plates (as available on ebay!).<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The information I was given when we did some work for them a few years ago was that they only A) read the central portion of the number plate, B) only monitor something like 1 in 15 vehicles, and C) don't keep the data anyway. The idea is to get a <i>rough</i> idea of average traffic speed, not to single out individual vehicles. As "big brother" technology, it has a long,long way to go and you can rest easy for now.
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

I don't have a problem with this per se - if i'm wearing my seatbelt, observing the speed limit etc then i've got nothing to worry about. Similarly, in the even of an accident the data could be useful to investigators.
What concerns me more is who is supposed to foot the bill for installing this kit (let me guess, us!), and who'll cough for maintaining it or mending it when it breaks? And if I don't have one fitted and go for a spin, who's gonna know? Sounds unenforeable to my mind.
tl.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

<font color="purple">I very much object to these Stazi apparachiks keeping tracks on where and when... It's yet another significant step towards a Euro-totalitarian State within the globalised prison they're constructing around everyone.</font id="purple">
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I entirely agree. Now suppose the technology was modified so that your car would only run when the tax smart card was inserted - and so untaxed vehicles wouldn't run! - I suppose you could do the same for insurance and using our identity cards - this could be extended to licensed drivers only as well.
Then perhaps our police would run out of excuses and could concentrate on burglary and crimes of violence and our dearly beloved magistrates might realise that these people don't commit many offences when they are in prison - so its an effective crime prevention measure.
jeremy
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Totalitarian, maybe. Euro? Oh, have we got the Daily Mail readers in from the remedial class today? The sort of minds that think all ills in the world are due to foreigners? Aah, bless.
dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Post by dillosk8ter »

I think we'd be far better off forging a better relationship with Europe than continuing on being America's lapdog, especially when they have an election cheating, war mongering moron as their president!!!!!!!
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Can see where the misunderstanding arises; I'm not anti-Europe as such (if anything, more pro than many who actually support the EU), but I'm very much against the corrupt control-freaks and apparachiks who devise and impose the so-called "Europe" of Brussels... and I'm well aware that the ghastlies at Wusstminceter and Edinburgh are perfectly capable of being just as bad as Bwussels on their own account.
Likewise, it should not be overlooked that the EU and NAFTA are merely different branch offices of Globalstazi Inc. and while their respective executives at various levels may harbour ambitions for who or which centre of excellency becomes predominant within the overall system, they are still all fellow apparachiks of that same system.
Further convergence between the geopolitical administrative units would follow the present imposition of localised (though in this case, continent-sized "local") centralisation, standardisation and consolidation of power; a design consistent with their ongoing and deliberate erosion of any potential for localised, national or regional self-sustainability and thereby political and socio-economic autonomy and freedom of choice....
EU/NAFTA would later be integrated with their supranational structures in other parts of the world, to effectively form one global prison... all populations, worldwide, effectively trapped into an enforced and distinctly counter-democratic dependency upon the new globalized system.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Forth, if you were'nt so paranoid, they'd be out to get you. Global prison - yeah, just tell me... I've been trying to contact the mothership for years!
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Aha... so despite having a Jag or two, John Prescott really does post here.