Grumbling brakes on Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MW
My Cars:

Grumbling brakes on Xantia

Post by MW »

This one is going into my local garage next week for examination, but I'd be interested to hear opinions anyway. What do you reckon? Is it a brake thing or a wheel bearing thing?
The first time I apply the brakes in the morning, there's a gentle 'grainy' sort of grumbling noise from the rear wheels like somebody tipping a cardboard box full of gravel. The noise then disappears completely, and I don't hear it again unless I drive for maybe five miles without braking. Then it's back, a bit quieter than before. And if I ever have to hit the anchors hard there's a noticeable vrumvrumvrumvrumvrum as I slow down.
Braking efficiency is fine, actually, and the car doesn't pull to the left or right even under heavy braking. But I think maybe I'll postpone any long-distance trips until it's been sorted.
Thoughts?
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

It sound like either the rear discs are rusty/worn, or the rear calipers are suffering from corrosion between the the caliper and the hub mounting.
This causes the caliper to effectively be mounted at an angle which can cause the disc to rub against the caliper. This problem usually manifests itself by causing brake squeal.
Take off a rear wheel and take a look at the disc and caliper. Also look at the rear pads, they should wear flat/square, any angle on them is evidence of the caliper corrosion.
If this is the case, remove the caliper and clean of the aluminium corrosion then replace with new pads.