Cylinder Head Bolts, Which Ones/Part No?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Cylinder Head Bolts, Which Ones/Part No?

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I was at the Heathrow GSF earlier trying to get hold of a set of cylinder head bolts for my 97 2.0 16V Xantia.
When comparing the old/new it was apparent that the threads were a little different, not fitting 'together' exactly.
Is this where the old bolt has stretched, or was I being offered the wrong ones?
Jon, maybe you could help me with a GSF part no please.
Jon

Post by Jon »

If its the XU10J4R (1995>) then the correct bolts should be N01179.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Thanks for that Jon.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Richard,
Did you come up with any solutions as to why the cambelt frayed/broke??
Alan
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Alan,
to be honest, no.
I've removed the tensioner, roller, water pump and head. The only original part remaining is the crankshaft.
Having closely examined each of them there is nothing conclusive, all the bearings appear relatively OK and as I expect/have seen before, at 68K miles. The water pump did however have what appears to be a very slow leak over a long period of time, but turns without undue resistance.
The fact that the belt was 8 years old and therefore 'overdue' on that count does not really explain why the belt was trying to run off the front of its rollers.
I've examined numerous pictures of cause/effect of belt failures and this one could fit almost all of them depending on my thoughts at the time!
The only cause which I cannot trace is whether the belt tension was too slack/tight.
What I'm planning to do now is to put it all back together (new roller, tensioner, water pump) with the other head, then turn the engine over for some time on the starter and observe the belt.

If I can, I will swop the tensioner and roller mountings in case they were out of alignment, but having looked at them when in situ I couldn't see anything conclusive.
If I cross my fingers will that help?