TD intercooler

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

On a petrol turbo car, an intercooler allows more boost because the limit on boost is determined by how much pinking / detonation you can put up with. An intercooler allows the ignition to be advanced more.
On a diesel if you want more power, you need more airflow through the engine, the intercooler will be restrictive but making air denser should allow more to flow. The lower temperatures should increase efficiency too.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

I bet that power loss is because of the pressure drop accross the intercooler and the ECU sensing this and adjusting fuel flow accordingly??
boneyboy
My Cars:

Post by boneyboy »

o boy its so much easier on my xud wacked the intercooler on super new turbo and wind up the fueling a bit crude but no fangly ecu to cope with lol
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

Just a note,
I have used the standard zx td intercooler and front mounted it. Its more than capable as well.
With regard to the 'funny oval' connection that bolts to the standard manifold; If you have 2 of these intercoolers, you can change the oval end tank to another hose connection one by prising up the metal tabs. Its what I did and it held about 40psi or something in a bucket of water with no bubbles. Nice and cheap too.[:D]
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Now thats an interesting mod, I shall look into it!!