jalopy remembered

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

Post by Jon »

I've often wondered whether the people that did Jalopy would agree to some sort of online version, maybe archiving the best of the magazines, plus doing a new monthly version, sort of like "Sniffpetrol".
I know that the ex-Editor, Rod Ker still submits pieces for the occasional magazine. I don't know if NGK Sparkright and W D Forte are still available, (although WD's son does write the odd article for the Bxclub site!)
They'd probably be enough fans of the old mag to put it all together.................would just require the necassary permissions I guess. The domain jalopy.co.uk is already registered, but no website.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Count me in! Putting the archive on line is a good idea.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

It's not particularly Francophile, and it's on a popup-infested server, but the Bangernomics website is worth a look for the skinflints among us (myself included).
http://bangernomics.tripod.com/
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Well - Im just short a couple of issues now, the annoying thing is I did once have all bar the first issue. James (No. 1 Son) managed to destroy a few once over.
Having said that following a recent ebay auction, it would appear our very own Jon is a closet Jalopyophile! Come on Jon own up!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

But is not the DS the ultimate car for the image obsessed??- I doubt it would be on many peoples ultimate desireable car list if it looked like a Morris Oxford!!
And is not running a scrapheap challenge old car also a sort of inverted image statement??
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

The ultimate car for the image obsessed is a BMW. As many people would have a Mini, Morris Minor or Beetle on the list, I won't agree with that.
As for the inverted image statement; too many mind games for me to care. I just like old cars. Am I putting out a different message if my CX shows a fortnight's winter muck to the message I put out once I've leathered it off? Does anybody care? If so, why?
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">And is not running a scrapheap challenge old car also a sort of inverted image statement??<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
More like a necessity for some of us......
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Image?
Whassat then? (Your speaking to a man who still wears jeans and a sports jacket to work in.)
As far as great cars go its a tie between the 1300 the Maxi and the Maestro for me. Ooodles of space with the Maxi winning it on points for the ride (and double bed!)
So why dont I run one?
Simple - got fed up of chasing the tin worm and getting very oily. Dont have the same worries with the Citroen on that score. Now floging all my BLMC bits on eBay.
Its about a set of wheels doing a given task as cheaply and reliably as possible with a modicum of fun thrown in.
Mind you learned the hard way - wouldnt buy another car off ebay again after the AX has become a financial black hole.
<i>EDIT</i> - blimey - cult thing this mag - I bid on this lot only wanted one magazine and was out bit at my maximum of £28!!!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RK:MEDW:IT
Off my cake? - Probably.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 4532155195
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 08525&rd=1
Read Mr. Sheppards tales of woe regarding SAAB ownership.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Woe? Not bloody likely!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">As far as great cars go its a tie between the 1300 the Maxi and the Maestro for me. Ooodles of space with the Maxi winning it on points for the ride (and double bed!)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
How about this then?? Shame about the colour, our one was green, but what a bargain, and the most comfortable ride you will ever get- shame I have nowhere to keep it at present-I want it!!!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 31482&rd=1
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

Woe? Not bloody likely!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Dunno - sounded rather expensive to me. Anything costing more than a few bob is a tale of woe if you ask me![;)]