Xantia Seats - passenger side not so comfortable

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

Citroen seats have not been comparable since Peugeot took over. They used to be generous and lush, which was perfect for long distance touring and sleeping in the car. With my current Xantia, I have attached pieces of latex foam sheet 2 inches thick to widen and soften the hard cushions. Sewed them on under pieces of "suede" upholstery fabric. Now she feels like a Citroen should. Can send a photo on request to nicolewis@optusnet.com.au
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Just had another look, Bored so I took the seat out makes it a lot easier to position rags.
5 bolts with torx head 30/35
undo pretensioner cables
tilt seat all the way back
stuff in rags
Wet chammy a bit so it dries into shape
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

So the way forward is stuffing with rags, or finding a passenger seat without this fetaure. Have any LHD Xantia users checked their seats - I've a theory that the re-enforced seat is by design the drivers seat, but when RHD models were produced it was cheaper to leave the re-enforced seat in the front left hand side rather than re-engineer the front right hand seat (Does that make sense ?)
Alternatively I'd be interested in anyones attempts (successful or otherwise) to put a passenger seat in the drivers side or a drivers seat into the passenger side. Is this possible/feasible ?
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

My Xantia mk2 2.0HDi leather passenger seat beats by far all the other Xantia's seats; Citroen C5 Exclusive; XM mk2 Exclusive; Citroen BX GTi; Citroen CX GTi; Citroen SM; Citroen DS; BMW series 3, 5, and 7, and a lot more models I have tested.
Now, Xantia mk2 has entirely different seats depending on model. All the other Xantia mk2 seats I've tried are rather inferior, including Activa's seats. These leather seats are a sort of 'jewel of the crown'. Perfect in every sense.
jack.dempsey
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)

Post by jack.dempsey »

So do you think that the facelift seats (especially the leather ones) will fit a pre-facelift car? This is becoming a pain in the rear (my wife says!!)
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

If there is room enough for the seat (whatever the seat and the car), then it will fit, even if some soldering or other adaptation needs to be done. You just need the right hands and tools for the job.
A friend of mine got a pair of front seats from a crashed BX16V and adapted then on his '72, four carburator BMW 2002.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Jack, yes facelift seats do fit pre-facelift cars because thats what I have in my TD.
The difference between pre/post facelift leather electric seats is that pre-facelift have seat width adjustment. Whereas post don't because they have airbags within them, just don't connect up.
Post are also softer in construction with softer leather, but the backs of the seat are vinyl compared with all leather on pre.
Having owned a couple of Xantia's at the same time with the two versions, I personally prefer post-facelift seats.
jack.dempsey
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)

Post by jack.dempsey »

So has anyone out there actually got a LHD Xantia and can confirm my suspicions about the drivers seat ?
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well this Xantia on ebay is left hand drive, but the auction has ended.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 38443&rd=1
It's not even cheap, and when you compare it to this one, it seems even more expensive.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 63720&rd=1
Only had two bids on it, and a car even though it's a non runner at that price is still a bargain.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

"pre-facelift have seat width adjustment. Whereas post don't because they have airbags within them"
[:0] late electric ones are <i>ejector </i>seats??[?]
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

The bottom of the seat comes apart by unhooking the metal ring fasteners that are used like staples onto the spring structure of the seat.
I’ve taken both the leather and the Activa velour seats apart, and there is less than 5mm of padding ware side supports are in the base of the seats and those of us who are large (6ft9" 20 stone) are more than capable of destroying this padding in a very short period of time. Front what I have seen its easy to fix when court early on but once the seat padding has a hole in it any fix is short term.
Now I’m looking for some ware that can make seat bases up, these have 3 mettle wire bars in them that the upholstery clips onto so whoever makes me some new ones will have to add that too.
Andy