306 GTI 6 VS ZX VALVER

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

benj
My Cars:

Post by benj »

alright darren, i do belive i still owe u some money! stupid bird forgot to send, look at my white zx 16v for sale on ebay.....
benj
My Cars:

Post by benj »

ps my 16v was very quik past 100, from 90 ish to rev limiter at 137 there was uniform accerlation ?? i think darren that we have had this conversation before and we both know there were many in carnations of the 16v!!
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

yes I saw your zx on ebay today and thought about mailing regarding the money from before xmas as I never got it. Let me know if you need my address again
louis1
My Cars:

Post by louis1 »

Well we found out alright, up to 90 mph there was nothing in it but after that the zx 16v was quite a bit quicker. Maybe having my car de-catted makes a bit of difference, but I would of thought that the BHP difference makes no difference because the GTI-6 is heavier.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Gearing and aerodynamics must play a part somewhere.
The de-cat and induction kit will make a difference of 2-3hp maybe which doesn't sound big. When drag is using up 160bhp and you've got 7 bhp accelarating the car that extra 2hp is rather a bigger difference isn't it...
FDV
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by FDV »

Having driven both cars, I'd say theres certainly nothing really in it, but I'm surprised the ZX got the better at the higher speeds. That said they are basically the same cars, slightly different features.
Personally, and for no particular reason I prefer the ZX's. They feel more alive than the GTi-6.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by FDV</i>

Personally, and for no particular reason I prefer the ZX's. They feel more alive than the GTi-6.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thats interesting, because all the reviewers always said the 306 handled better than the ZX. I always suspected it was down to image - maybe that is actually the case. The 306 was always a trendier car, at least to the motoring press.
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

I prefer the ZX over the 306 as well. The ZX feels more talkative when pushing it. This might be to do with the extra weight of the 306.
Ste
FDV
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by FDV »

Well the ZX is less refined I thought. And the power band is more pronounced. They have that dual intake manifold system, not sure if the 306 does or not so that may explain it.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

the gti-6/xsara vts have a manifold very similar to the older 1.9 16v with just 1 intake. I have 2 handy photos online showing the different ones as I had to explain to a zx owner before http://www.visagti.com/pics/zx_16v/167.jpg http://www.visagti.com/pics/zx_16v/150-155bhp.jpg
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

The 306GTi-6 is the best!
Amazing sportive gearbox.
Fantastic sport seats.
Better suspension.
Better looks. (The ZX and the BX are probably the ugliest Citroens ever made).
More solid and better construction.
Better market value.
My vote for the 306 GTi-6!
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

I may be biased as I owned a zx 16v but I think it looked good. How many other 3 door hatch backs do you know where the B pillars slope forward...ive not see any.
The 306 looks nice but the problem with the gti-6 was that it looked like all the other 306's, at least with the zx they changed some of the bodykit even if the bumpers were the same.
Better market value is ok if youre a seller but if youre a buyer, when you can get a N reg zx 16v for £700 and a 306 gti-6 of the same age will cost you £3K or more, whos getting the better deal?
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

VisaGTi16v,
Respecting the price of these cars, I agree with you. The 306 is a better option given the same price. If the 306 costs £3K and the ZX £700, than the ZX is, without any doubt, the best option. Even if the ZX price was £2K and the 306 £3K, I would still go with the ZX.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Cheap fast cars are my favourite. Most people have no idea what a zx 16v is and so you can get them dirt cheap.
Weird looking xantia you have there heh :)
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

I'm glad you liked the changes I've made to the body of my Xantia! [:)]