Timing Belt Failure (Update)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alans</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I think I have also been told that the Xantia 16V had a modification to the tensioner too, but it will take someone more au fait with Xantias than me to confirm this.
Alan S
[/quote]
it was only the 1.8 16v engines that were recalled for the modified tensioner,the 2.0 version was not included in the recall.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Thanks mate, BTW, do you know if they have the manually set tensioners or the spring (pre) loaded ones??
Alan S
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Panjandrum</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PowerLee</i>

The cambelt snapped on my 2 litre 16 valve 406 years ago, That bent 11 valves!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Shocked and amazed!! How did it feel driving a 2 litre 16v way back in 1598? And how has it been running in the four centuries since?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That was the first & LAST 16 valve PSA engine im ever having, Thanks to the warranty company & Peugeot ( What recall? ) stitching the garage up where I bought the car too, He also had to pay the full bill for the repair!
Also the repair was bodged & it never ran the same again, I was the second owner of the car & it had FULL Peugeot service history when the belt snapped at 40K miles.
The car in question is now on owner number 6.
Anybody out there with a Sherwood Green 406 GLX saloon reg number N815 DMP?
beezer

Post by beezer »

Surely this would be a 1599 model Panjandrum. This is confirmed by the 'N' registration. One of the last 16th Century models. Of course, they did not refine petrol back then. I believe they ran on cow p*ss.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alans</i>

Thanks mate, BTW, do you know if they have the manually set tensioners or the spring (pre) loaded ones??
Alan S
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
the 2.0 16v is a manually set eccentric (spelling)roller tensioner & so was the 1.8 before the recall,the modified one after the recall is spring loaded but still has to be set manually first,there is a pointer arrow that has to be alinged with another mark on the tensioner.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Update, I have now replaced the water pump, tensioner + mounting post, roller, crankshaft timing belt pulley, crankshaft drive belt pulley and swopped cylinder heads. (My that was fun, long arms required with the muscles of Charles Atlas, then tightening up the head bolts to 160 degree, not nice).
Having done the above I turned the engine over by hand numerous times then used the starter motor whilst observing the belt. No problems there, so I then started it up and I'm pleased to report that all is well at this stage.
As the car is still in the garage I haven't run it for longer than 5 minutes but I should be able to get the car out sometime next week after I get my 'donor' Xantia taken to the breakers. More later.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Sounds like you've got it beat then Richard, as cambelts usually start to wander off as soon as they're turned over even on the starter. The fact It's run 5 minutes says all is well in my opinion.
Should have a good car now that being the case.
Alan S
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I'm happy to now report that all is well with the car now.
I've run the car for several days testing it with hot/cold starts, slow/quick running, left to idle until the fans cut in/out several times and no problems at all. The cambelt is still running in the centre of the pulleys so whatever was the problem has now been sorted.
Just to put the icing on the cake, it sailed through the MOT today with the tester commenting on how nice a car it is.
I'm one happy bunny!!