Clutch clip!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

that must be the first time there is a useful photo in a haynes manual
crapday
My Cars:

Post by crapday »

if that clip goes it might be time for a new clutch, mine went twice, so i had to go for a new clutch, no probs now.
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

Finally completed the job today, thanks for all the advice and tips.
Richard`s step-by-step procedure was spot-on and it was my own silly fault that I never memorised the orientation of the spring before removal.
All in all not too difficult after all,but pretty daunting for the first timer ,especially if you`re not so young and supple anymore.:)
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
I fitted dreaded clip to my TD Xantia today----had a fair few goes to get cable end to go in and then push securing ( what a joke)clip home to hold cable nipple. In a bit of a tizz, I yanked cable outer from engine side of bulkhead and tried the white clip over the bullet end. The nipple wasn`t even going past the grooves for the clip sides, so I gently drilled down a fraction into clip body, letting the nipple go in further into clip body, until the securing clip would hold cable.
In other words, makers of clip hadn`t drilled out enough plastic to allow cable nipple to go in far enough. Plonkers.
Hope this helps
Greg
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

Having fitted the new clip the other day,all seemed well for a while but now I`ve noticed a kind of gritty feeling on pressing/releasing the pedal which definitely wasn`t there before!!??
I checked and double checked the cable routing and fitting,and the pedal adjustment but to no avail.It also makes a noise between a squeak and a groan and this appears to be coming from the clutch housing - internally.
It is fine when cold but starts after a few miles drive.
I will reiterate that the clutch was replaced just 5 or 6 k miles ago and the action is really not (that) heavy -the old clip was a bit graunched externally which I think was done when the cable was last removed ,this,together with the almost new condition of the cable makes me think it was changed along with the clutch.
Can anyone think of what might have happened ,just by replacing the clip?
Curiouser and curiouser....
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Has the groaning caused the clip to break rather than the clip breaking caused the groaning?
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

I see what you are saying,and I had thought of that ,but I`m sure it didn`t feel like that before.
Anyway,today I took it all apart(except the clip)and put it all back together with some liberal lubrication on pedal components and inside cable and that seems to have got rid of the noise by about 90%,which suits me.I just want to leave well alone now,forever if possible!
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

<font color="blue"><font size="3"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Hi All,
The stupid clip had gone on my Xantia TD. When I had a look, some kind soul had put a length of threaded rod in place of the original type pedal pivot bolt, with 4 nuts ,the outer two being tightened onto the inner two. This maybe a better answer to finding another correct size/length bolt.
Hope this helps
Greg</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size3"></font id="blue">