Just bought a Peugoet 306 XTDT

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

I agree, P 2501. Chris was very unlucky, but my DHY engine does at least 80 miles a day on the motorway, and I regularly red-line it.
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

I agree the whole con-rod issue has been blown out of proportion, as already mentioned, how many of these engines have been made and fitted into various makes, not only from the PSA stable, some are to be found under the bonnet of some small LDV vans.
There appears to have been a problem around the introduction of the face-lift models pf the 306. I stand to be corrected here but I am sure there was an increase in service interval of the diesel from 6 to 9000. This brought the service interval in line with the petrol models, which is a long time for the oil to be in the sump of any diesel engine be it direct or indirect injection. There would have had to be a change in the specification of the big end shells to allow for the increase in the service interval. Diesel engine oil by its specification is classed as a detergent type oil to absorb the carbon deposits left in the cylinder bores after the combustion process.
Personally I recommend a service interval of 5000 miles using genuine perflux filters and good quality oil to the manufacturers standard. Using this system my first diesel died at 210,000 miles of a burst water hose, up to that point it did not use any oil between services.
blueagle78
My Cars:

Post by blueagle78 »

I think the reliability issue starts in some cars is when they're ignored! My personal understanding is if cars like Pug, Citroen, Renault, Fiat.....aren't serviced on time or cam belts aren't changed on time then they start behaving improperly but on the other hand cars like Toyotas, Nissans, Hondas, VWs can take some sort of negligence!
I always look after my car and I only spend money on my car to prohibit all the problems and never bother to make it look sportier because for me RELIABILITY is very important! As long as it takes me A to B without any trouble I'm happy!!!
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by P 2501</i>

The whole con rod thing IMO has been blown out of proportion by a small minority making alot of noise. There are literally millions and millions of these engines out there and the law of averages dictates that with so many being made, there will be breakdowns at some point.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Absolutely. The thing to always bear in mind when openly canvasing opinions on the internet is that people always shout when their car goes wrong, but rarely do so when it's totally reliable. The information you find will always be skewed towards the negative.
If you're <b>very</b> unlucky then it might throw a wobbly. Looking at it statistically however, you're far more likely to be treated to many miles of pleasurable motoring.
DaveC
My Cars:

Post by DaveC »

Yup.
In our family, we've had about 5 cars with the XUD9 (the 1.9 tdi engine in all pugs and cits of old)...
Did my cambelt the other day, 40,000 miles on it, about 2 years ago. Just got to 180,000 miles, and had the water pump done at the last change.
Cambelt, 14 quid, waterpump, about the same I think.
Labour, two and a half hours, maybe three with the waterpump too.
Thats nothing bad at all is it? If you just do those things, with a waterpump every 80,000 miles, your pretty much guaranteed the rest will go forever!
We have a big collection of all the old cam belts from past changes, I think at 40k intervals, 8 belts adds upto alot of miles with not one cam belt related problem!
Biggest niggles imho are oil from camshaft end seal or rocker cover gasket seal fouling cambelt, which, if left can make it fail prematurely. If you do what Peugeot suggest about twice as often, then they'll go forever.
Mine's tuned up and hasn't had the best life, probably been a taxi at some point, loads of owners, probably been clocked too, and it's still going strong at 180,000 miles.
Don't let a few stories put you off... These engines at least are one of the best things that happened to Peugeot! Don't think I'll go to the HDi 306 from what I've heard. Cats going every few years and costing the earth to replace etc. All them electrics... eeek.
GTi6 here I come :) Same again... just make sure you give it a major (professional, that means DIY, not Peugeot monkeys) service, and you shouldn't have much to worry about!
Seya
Dave
chriswales6

Post by chriswales6 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Despite what you may hear on alot of forums like this - scaremongering with thrown con rods etc, these are reliable cars if looked after and no more or less trouble than the majority of other makes.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Funny that since out of six cars (a mix of Ford and Japanese) that I have owned only one has self-destructed and the only car I have ever had to get recovered from the road side (twice) was the 306. My father used to run cars into the ground as a Taxi driver and in 30 years of working he never had an engine let go on him.
The 306 is a great car when it’s running but it has cost me around 5,000 pounds in repair bills. That is not including the normal servicing which I have done every 6,000 miles.
I hasn’t aware that I scare mongering and that certainly wasn’t my intension. I was only trying to point of what can go wrong even if you look after the car. Plus I can assure you the noise I have made about the con-rod isn’t half as loud as the noise the rod made it’s self when it snapped. Also I don’t think the people driving behind me appreciated being covered in oil and engine parts. No one stopped with me when I rolled to a halt on the hard shoulder so I guess the bits of con-rod and engine block didn’t hit anyone. A bit of miracle really when you thing about it, it was lucky that it was a dry day since all of my engine oil got dumped in lane three of the motorway.
So IMHO the 306 a great car spoiled by some quite shocking build quality issues. But that is the view of an owner with five years ownership experience and empty pockets. Mind you I’m getting a 7 grand payoff from work so I maybe able to give someone else the pleasure of my particular 306.
Cheers
Chris
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Well, I just sold my 1995 DTurbo. It never ever let me down, granted the glowplugs went once, but it still started. I spent a lot of money on it, not because it needed it, but because I'm a perfectionist when it comes to car maintenance; if something looks to be even slightly worn, it gets replaced, even if it probably will go on for another 100K miles! It was serviced every 5000 miles using OE oil and filters. By the time I sold it, it was perfect, I hope the new owner appreciates what a car he's now got!
My new HDi seems to be on the right track, yes it has electronic fuel injection, but so what! Been reliable so far and its on 68K, but only 2000 miles done with me! Only problem I have on this is a flashing airbag light, but its only the plug under the passenger seat thats dodgy. I've never had a problem with build qulaity either, apart from the airbag connectors which I have mentioned. So here's a post from an owner of 2 very reliable 306's, and yes I would have another... I wonder how much I would have to pay Peugeot to build me a brand new one from the spares department of my local dealer!!