Just bought a Peugoet 306 XTDT

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

A DHY code engine by any chance, Chris?
That's what I have lurking under the bonnet, so I pamper it with 5K oil changes every ten weeks, and live in hope.
chriswales6

Post by chriswales6 »

Yep your got it Ralph, one of the DHY mobile bombs .....
If your running one of these puppies then I would say get rid of it, but if as you said the car is worth buttons, I guess it’s worth the risk.
Most of the stories I’ve heard of them failing have been over a long motorway run. Mine went in lane 3 of a motorway, I had been driving for about 40 minutes. It seems to be a problem with a build up of heat, if you stay below 70 it may help. I as doing around 85 when mine went, it scared the brown stuff out of me.
Good luck
Chris
solara

Post by solara »

I have a 1993 306 XTDT 134kmiles on the clock. Bought it at 3 years old with 48k on the clock.
Apart from general wear and tear (tyres/brakes/batt/exhaust), over 8 years of owning it, major bits of work are:
1 replacement rad (6 years ago).
New master brake cylinder (5 years ago).
1 new set of front brake discs.
Replaced heater matrix (whole dash out job).
2 new timing belts (every 60kmiles).
New rear slave cylinders + wheel bearings.
One new set of glow plugs.
1 new pas pump.
I even wrote it off last year in an accident, back on the road after a few days work! The car has served me well and I know whats been done to it, so I was reluctant to take on another pandoras box.
Overall great cars to work on, and mines has been very reliable. Always serviced by myself every 6kmiles, with original pug parts. Mines is the original engine DHX? XUD9TE, so hopefully no con rod drop outs. I would avoid the DHX diesel engines P-R reg.
Solara
blueagle78
My Cars:

Post by blueagle78 »

easterroad I'm a bit worried now because I need to drive from Heathrow to Leeds tomorrow and then back to my home on Sunday so I better get a break down cover sorted today!!!!
But I hope nothing would go wrong because my brother (who's a mechanic) he serviced it fully and put in a air filter (it was missing huh) and I've got timing belt and tensioners and hopefully he'll put them in next week if I've a safe journey back home! :)
chriswales6

Post by chriswales6 »

Breakdown cover is sensible precaution when driving a 306.
Again I wouldn’t worry too much, just keep an eye on the temperature dial. Each gauge and engine is slightly different, but it should normally be around 80. If you’re giving it some stick and working the turbo hard it will raise to 85. When you stuck in traffic it may go up to 90, if it goes much over that then start worrying (and stop the car)
There is a big red STOP light which will come on when the engine is too hot, but normally the damage has been done by then.
One of the underlining charms of the 306 is it’s ability to bite the hand that feeds it. You can service the car by the book and it can still turn around and finically kick you between the legs. It not something worth losing sleep over, but these cars are more suitable to the home mechanic.
blueagle78
My Cars:

Post by blueagle78 »

My brother and a very close friend of mine are mechanics and they never charge me for the labour so I think I'm kind of safe if the car's at home! The breakdown cover is in place guys and I'll update you guys when I'll come back from my first long journey (400+ miles) on Sunday or Monday!
Another quick question! There's a small guage underneath the rev counter which says mani and maxi does anyone know what it means? I haven't got the car's manual so can't find out from anywhere except from you experienced PEUGEOT 306 drivers!
Trust me guys I've learn a lot about Peugeot 306 in last couple of days than in my whole life!!!
solara

Post by solara »

That is the useless oil-level gauge. Supposedly saves you having to check the dipstick, by switching ignition on and looking at the gauge.
Should be at max, with ignition on and engine not running.
moomin

Post by moomin »

ive got a 1994 306, xld, with 181k on the clock, still running fine here, since ive had it there have been no problems appart from a new exhust, the rest is just ware and tear type stuff,(new set of plugs/new set of tyres) i didnt know the 306 was such a volatile car,im all worried now because i dont have anyomney to buy a new one if mine dies, im thinking not a very good student car (too late). better start saving for a new one by the sounds of it.
chriswales6

Post by chriswales6 »

Yeah that oil gauge is no substitute for checking the dipstick and it was dropped on my 98 phase 2.
moomin, I wouldn’t worry too much. If I was asked to recommend a student car the 306 wouldn’t be anyway near the top, any small Jap car would be better.
But now that you actually have one of the beasts, you need to make the best of it. Do weekly fluid checks (oil and water) cam-belt every 3 years 36,000 miles and you have fair chance of getting close to 250,000 miles.
If it’s any consolation to you, you have one of the best models for reliability. The turbo engines are more highly stressed (a bit like their owners) than the non turbo cars and don’t seem to last as long. Plus any addition electric device starts to turn into a liability once the car is over 5 years old. Mine has electric windows, central locking and air-con which is overdue costing me money again. The only plus point is that it doesn’t have a sunroof or a Peugeot alarm.
moomin

Post by moomin »

well, ive been thinking of upgrading to a turbo diesel, before i read this i wanted a 306, but now i dont, what other cars of a similar size would you recommend, remember, im a student and therefore am broke, and under no circumstances am i going within 10ft of a citroen.
blueagle78
My Cars:

Post by blueagle78 »

I would suggest Nissan Almera/Micra, Honda Civic, VW Polo. You can get one of these for around a grand and all you'll have to do is service them once and then just put petrol in them! I've had Civic and Polo in the past and my previous car before buying Peugeot 306 was Almera and I never had any kind of trouble what so ever! Used to start first time never really looked after them except the usual service or cam belt change and they were all as reliable as you can expect a car to be!
chriswales6

Post by chriswales6 »

It’s been said before that the 306 DT isn’t a wholly a bad car, but buy a bad one it can test the patience of a saint. Citroen and Peugeot are more or less one in the same cars (both part of the PSA group), the only saving grace is that Peugeot don’t use the complicated suspension that the Citroens can have.
If your after reliable transport to run on a budget then a Nissan is the way to go, Honda Civics are nice but they tend to be more expensive to buy. The mid 90’s Nissan Almera would make an ideal student car. They have the looks only a mother would love (funny enough my mother has one) so they are cheap to buy because people don’t like them. They’re easy to drive but won’t exactly set your pants on fire with the driving dynamics. But it’s better driving one of those than catching a bus while your 306 is in the garage being repaired.
Toyotas are almost indestructible, I had one a while ago and hammered it around New Zealand for two years. It was getting on for ten years old when I sold and it felt like it had at least another years worth of use in it. But they tend to cost a bit more to buy.
I guess it comes down to what you want out of car, reliable transport or something with a bit more style but more temperamental (a bit like the French people really I guess).
Cheers
Chris
glynn25121100
My Cars:

Post by glynn25121100 »

I've had 5 french cars in the past: 1 renault, 2 citroens and two pugs. The only real problem one was the Citroen Xantia with its suspension.
Now running a '93 405 GLDT with 195,000 miles on clock and it runs like a dream there have been no real problems apart from the sensor on the fuel filter flashing at me. All electrics work fine and for the price i paid i am happy.
Also ran a '96 306 D Turbo upto end of 2003 until me and my missus had another child. Was the best car i have had and wish that i had never got rid of it. I put over 50k on it within a space of 2 years by driving to germany and back every month (was in Army) and all it needed was the regular service which i did myself and a pair of front tyres and a new battery, although the battery was my own fault as i topped it up too much and it exploded!!!
I'm just amazed at the list of complaints that have come up on this forum as i would have another one today (provided that i had the money [:D])
blueagle78
My Cars:

Post by blueagle78 »

Ok guys I got back from Leeds last week at 10:00pm!
On Saturday morning I drove from Slough to Birmingham and then to Leeds! Then on Sunday afternoon I drove from Leeds to Derby and then back home in Slough. It was 400+ miles journey and I can say one thing honestly that I'm quite happy and satisfied with performance, drive and reliability! I was a bit worried about the UNRELIABILITY of most of the PEUGEOT cars but I'm very happy to say that it proved me wrong!
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Don't worry about the car blueagle. Despite what you may hear on alot of forums like this - scaremongering with thrown con rods etc, these are reliable cars if looked after and no more or less trouble than the majority of other makes.
Remember toyotas and nissans break down too!
The whole con rod thing IMO has been blown out of proportion by a small minority making alot of noise. There are literally millions and millions of these engines out there and the law of averages dictates that with so many being made, there will be breakdowns at some point.