Do I buy ---BX rear hydraulics quick answer pse

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pmhpmh

Do I buy ---BX rear hydraulics quick answer pse

Post by pmhpmh »

I have found a cheap estate (with longish MoT) and alledgedly good nick, with faulty suspension.
The seller claims that, and I quote,
1"the rear nearside suspension unit has dumped all its fluid on the ground" and 2 " it is driveable because our mechanic has wedged it up" and 3 "front suspension nearside hose needs replacing"
Any comments on above?
1 presumably strut total failure on high pressure side? how easy to to replace? or is it common fault?
2 I would have assumed that this means no pressure available for rear brakes!
3 Return hose??
I have pit facilities, but am not very BX literate, despite having run one for 15k and having done front near side bushes and a replacement section to rear return hydraulics. If it is is in very good condition is it worth the risk?
Thanks
p
pmhpmh

Post by pmhpmh »

I should have said presumably no pressure for all brakes!!!!!
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Depends how much you want a BX and to what extent you want to get involved in maintaining it. It's definitely NOT driveable right now, tell that mechanic where to stick his wedge! Pit facilities will be a help, I may come round when I need to replace the LHM pipes on mine.
How much is he asking, BTW?
Oscar
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Its probably got a burst pipe at the back rather than cylinder failure, but beware; depending on age all the rear pipes will probably be severely corroded.
They are cheap but very labourious to replace. If the pipes aren't corroded into the cylinders that is........
The front pipe will probably be the flexible pipe at the back of the strut-cheap and easy to do.
Its not safely driveable for any distance if the back is 'wedged up' whatever that means...
I wouldn't bother with it- you can barely give a good working BX away, let alone one which doesn't work- they should be paying you to remove it!!!
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

It would have to be cheap
Stewart
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

pmhpmh

Post by pmhpmh »

You found it in one!
Where is the 2nd?
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Proberly meaning you could buy the Ebay one for spares as well as the one your looking at.But,it seems you are thinking of buying the Ebay one,so theres only one car.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

As it's a TXD it'll have placcy-coated pipes (post 91), and the rear suspension and brake pipes are pretty cheap even from Citroen AFAIR (£5-ish). If it's dumped the LHM from in front of the rear arch, then it could be one of the the front-rear pipes, which are also cheap but take time and elbow grease, (and preferably a pit) to replace.
Please do be aware that if it's the rear suspension cylinder corroded through, the estate ones are slightly different from the hatch ones (larger volume).
pmhpmh

Post by pmhpmh »

Thanks for replies, for benefit of any one else still interested,
The car looks tidy exterior but lacked any signs of interior TLC and owner was a heavy smoker. Boot had been used for building rubble.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RK:MEWA:IT
However diesel with 141k started ran and sounded ok. But no road test!
NO hydraulic fluid and hence suspension all very low, made underside inspection difficult. But looked very solid in most places, and door hinges have NEVER been rewelded. The rear end of ns strut and sphere were all soaked in fluid and it had dumped all fluid in one go on owners driveway several weeks ago. Not used since. Probably strut failure.
Contrary to owner statement it is not a Turbo.
For somebody local with transport (RAC?) ,the will and time probably worth a £75 gamble. Particularly if you have a MOT failure with 4 good tyres sitting around.