accelerator cable

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jason

accelerator cable

Post by jason »

has anyone ever fitted a new accelerator cable to a Citroen xantia 1.9td.what is the best way to do this job.thanx
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

The way I did mine was to leave the original outer sheath in place, pull the old inner cable out of it, then just slide the new inner cable into it. As long as the new inner cable moves freely it should be ok.
Bit of a bodge perhaps but it saved a lot of time, and 4 years later it still works fine.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The cable runs through (and is secured to) a rubber ball, this ball fits in a socket like grommet in the bulkhead, look at the grommet to see which side of the bulkhead the socket grommet is on (because I can't remember) and pull the old cable out so as to force the big side of the grommet against the bulkhead, if you pull it the other way it usually yanks the grommet out and its a ball ache getting it back in.
Smear the new ball with some soap before pulling it in.
Dave
brianr.uk

Post by brianr.uk »

hi jason, i fitted one the same way as nick about 18 months ago and have had no problems.you can get a universal cable with a srew on nipple from gsf. brian.
brianr.uk

Post by brianr.uk »

should be screw on nipple (can't spell)
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Please, gentlemen. All this talk of screwing nipples and soapy balls. This is a family chat site.
den
My Cars:

Post by den »

The throttle cable snapped on my 1.9TD Xantia recently so I went to my local cycle repair shop and found a cycle gearchange cable that was a perfect replacement. Just connected it at the pedal end and fed it through the outer and reconnected it at the pump lever. It only cost £1.50 so I bought two and now carry a spare [:D]