AX Brake Drums

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ItDontGo
My Cars:

AX Brake Drums

Post by ItDontGo »

Hi all.
I was wondering how I would know that the rear shoes are finished. When they are dud will they not work very well and also make a nasty noise. I believe at this stage the drums will be wrecked by the rivet scratching them so I suppose it might be an idea to change then before they stop working!
What I am asking really is that can I get away with being lazy and not checking them/changing them?
beezer

Post by beezer »

"What I am asking really is that can I get away with being lazy and not checking them/changing them?"
No, not really. You should at least check them. Once they start making a noise is when they are scraping the drum.
jgjones095
My Cars:

Post by jgjones095 »

I would recomend checking them!
When i was working on the car last summer i found that i could not move my passengers side rear wheel easily when in the air. Recently ive felt my brakes to be really bad for stopping, not that they were any good to begin with!
Over christmas, was gonig to work, took the handbrake off, and found that there was resistance, then a loud bang and i was free. Well until i heard the metal grinding on metal noice!
Anyway took the drum off to find the friction pad separated from the brake shoe. This seems to be a common thing on these cars, as it happened to a friend with a 106 (same brakes!) a few months ago and it lock his wheel up when he was travelling at 30mph.
There was a lot of meat left on the pads, but still id check them!
If the wheel doesnt spin freely when its in the air CHANGE!