Dying Xantia battery?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Robin
My Cars:

Dying Xantia battery?

Post by Robin »

Or was it?
My Partner rang to say the battery on the 98 Xantia 1.9TD was dying or dead. So I asked her to try the usual tests, headlights on, turn key etc. From the descriptions it all certainly sounded like a dead battery but this one is only 18 months old.
Needed to get to a family funeral the next day so the car got a cursory glance, battery on charge overnight and we left for the south east very early the next morning in mine.
That night the car acted just the same, sluggish, lights dimmed to candles and the battery voltage was 9.8. Took battery to garage today (ATS) had it tested, no the guarantee was not valid, new owner does not inherit guarantee - but she is my partner!!!! Live at different addresses. (The car was my previous company motor) However the battery tests fine, but only just by my standards.
Take it back and start considering stripping the starter motor out. Wanted to try one more check, bad connections. Bridged the neutral return from battery to engine with jump lead and hey presto all is fine and dandy. The neutral cable connection at the gearbox earth point is a crimped terminal which had failed.
New terminal soldered on and all is wonderful with the world again, battery charge voltage back up at the terminals, may even be allowed to stay overnight!!
Robin