Xantia AL4 auto trans fluid

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Gee's,
just change it!!!! I change the tranny oil on my Xantia every oil change (about 8000kms), you only drain a fraction of the total oil with each change.
Much like engine oil changes, you shouldn't be able to tell on driving the oil has been changed, rather you change it to ensure decent transmission life. After all how long would you expect an engine to run with old oil in it. The automatic is just the same !!!!
Manual gearboxs seem to tolerate rarely changed oil quite well, however unlike automatic gearboxs the oil isn't actually providing the drive.
seeya,
Shane L.
JohnM52

Post by JohnM52 »

Hi Shane,
The point here is that the service recoemmendation is the gearbox has a lifetime oil in it. The only signal to change is when some combination of the sport and snow mode lights show.
A number of people are unhappy at the thought of not changeing auto tran oil and while those who have changed the oil cannot quote positive benefits, the feel of the difference is good in itself.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Ok, I see.
Well look at it from Citroens point of view. They probably view a cars lifespan as 100,000miles. After that they **want** it dead and gone. They want to force an upgrade (and don't want to be supplying parts for an old model for the next 20years). If it reaches 100,000miles on the gearbox, there happy, it's out of warranty and the car is now a throw away (after all who would spend the huge $$$$$ to rebuild an automatic ??).
seeya,
Shane L.
Darren Geraldo Duarte

Post by Darren Geraldo Duarte »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JohnM52</i>

http://www.jpat.co.uk/jpat_pdfs/ZF%20Ac ... 04HP20.pdf
gives a very detailed picture of the 4HP20 gearbox.
ACTIVE8
You will find very few autoboxes on cars have a drain plug for the torque convertor - Merc W123 being one exception I know of. The majority of convertors are sealed.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">