fiat coupe! not a g,s,or f car but please help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

goose
My Cars:

fiat coupe! not a g,s,or f car but please help

Post by goose »

used to be on here with my zx 16v and u guys always helped me out which i thank you all for!!
i now own a fiat coupe 2.0l 20v turbo!! and what a motor she is!!
but i now have a problem and no one to turn to so i was hoping one of u guys may know!!
a few days ago the car packed in shut down and wouldent start the code light came up and the injector light which indicated a key was faulty. but it wasnt i took it to a fiat dealer and they said the fuel pump connections were faulty so after £80 for a new connector(cheeky bastards)i was back on the road. however today the car did the same again but this time no injector light!! which doesnt indicate a key problem but there is no signal going to the injectors after testing them with a multimeter. so any ideas. im starting to wish i kept the ****roen now!!!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

So you call the garage, arrange for them to collect it and sort out the problem that you paid them to fix.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Wow! same problem happed to one of the girls at work last Christmas 2003. I know it's different, it's Fiat Brava or Bravo, the 3 door one. Anyhow same problem and same cure at the Fiat dealer and again same problem. Anyhow £500 and a month later a new ECU was fitted and the car hasn't broken down since. At the time the AA came out to the office and said there was an injector pump problem as no or little fuel was getting throught. They reset it some how and all was well down to the dealer. This may be the cause of your problem too, I can say that Sarah (girl at work) said she thought the dealer had ripped her off on the price ofthe ECU as she had been quoted only about half the amount by independants after getting her car back. Sorry the model was on a P reg so that would be 1998.
prm
My Cars:

Post by prm »

Hi Goose.
First hand experience of working on your Fiat is zero and bow down to forum members who have knowledge with these cars. But some initall general pointers with these EFI systems may help.
I believe ?? these have Bosch Motronic fuel injection fitted and It does sound as if you have possibly an ECU injector driver problem ??. But the previous problem and temporary repairs to the fuel pump, may point to relay connections/supplies fitted to injectors and pump.
If possible, confirm the fuel pump is operational, bypassing any controllers, this will verify fuel system -- filter -- lines etc.
I assume all other electrical systems are working.
Depending on the ECU set-up, fuel pump may be required to be energised before injectors are operational, also possibly, crank/ing sensors.
A general removal, check and clean of all EFI components may help -- before you rush out and get ripped off again.!!
Several UK repairers will checkout your ECU for about £25-35.
R
Peter
Seamster15
My Cars:

Post by Seamster15 »

VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Totally not answering your question but nice car, Ive always really liked them however I hope you got one whos cambelt had been done as its a 1K job as the engine needs to be taken out! heh
goose
My Cars:

Post by goose »

fiat in cardiff only charge £320 for the belt change and its not engine out its gearbox out and mounts off to push it over!!
any ways yes she is a loverly car wen she runs!!!
the fuel pump doesnt make the usual noises, wen turning the ignition on before starting the engine. i think the pump connection might have gone down agen and i think your theory of the injectors not working before the pump does is true. hopefully all will be reavelled tommorow thanks for ur help in the meantime.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

ah cool ive only read horror stories about the cambelt, I will put it back on my list of potential next cars :) Hope you get your niggle sorted.
prm
My Cars:

Post by prm »

Goose
It does sound as if you may have a fuel pump,--injector relay pack fault ??
Have a look here.
Alfa 4 cylinder set-up
Relay pack ???
R
goose
My Cars:

Post by goose »

where is that located any ideas prm???
prm
My Cars:

Post by prm »

Totally working in the dark with this one. Only ever seen the bonnet up -- some time ago. Nice car.
Most cars ?? the relays should be around battery and front panel area. There may be several located together -- air-con, alarms, cooling fans etc. I should imagine, from the pump relay pic, -- if correct for 20v/year, it will most probably have a 7-10 pin connector, possible larger than the remainder.
You need to check and verify relays, fuel pump and circuits first before you consider fault finding on the ECU. Also crank/ing sensors.
I would imagine your Fiat wiring is very similar to the Alfa one listed, as most of the pin allocation ties up.
One remote query. Any water in the fuel ??
Recently spent 5-6 hours fault tracing a Motronic system with a previously frozen pump and filter.
Any recent repairs, mechanical/electrical before pump fault ??
R