Synergie Fan/Aircon Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AirCooledHeaven
Locked user account

Synergie Fan/Aircon Problem

Post by AirCooledHeaven »

Hi
I have a 2000 Synergie HDI. Just recently the red warning light in the temperature gauge started flashing, and now flashes all the time as soon as it's started. Once warmed up the water temp stays rock steady at 88C. Checking the manual, there isn't a fault associated with the light flashing, high coolant temp should be a steady red light. Then I noticed that the flashing light stops when I switch off the aircon.
I called my local dealer and after a couple of hours of deliberation they told me the likely problem is a 'siezed' cooling fan. Now I know the fan should be on when the aircon is on, so I switched the aircon on and lo and behold the fan didn't operate.
Poor previous service experience with my local citroen dealer means I'd like to fix this myself, not to mention the extortionate main dealer service charges.
Anyway I looked first in the fuse box in the engine compartment, what I believed to be the fan fuse (right hand most fuse/30A) appeared to be popped out of its socket slightly. So having checked it was OK I pushed it back in. Still no fan operation.
Any idea where I can go from here? I'm an electriacl engineer so no problem testing stuff but it's difficult without a wiring diagram. I can't believe the 'siezed' theory, surely I would have heard some bearing noise first?
Also the car appears to be built around the fan, is there a trick to get it out?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AirCooledHeaven</i>

I can't believe the 'siezed' theory, surely I would have heard some bearing noise first?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
i'd go with this theory,either a siezed/faulty cooling fan or corrosion on the connectors.the fan sits at the front of the car so its exposed to all the elements making them prone to siezing,just ask a xantia owner.