Difference between ME5K and BE3 gearboxes?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Difference between ME5K and BE3 gearboxes?

Post by Wookey »

I'm looking at replacing my XUD9A with an XUDTE (turbo) engine. It seem that the turbos always use the ME5K gearbox and the NA engines use the BE3. So - anyone know what the differnce is? Ratios, mounting holes, size and shape, driveshafts, gear-stick attachments?
Can I just stick with my existing BE3 gearbox, or should I change the gearbox at the same time as the engine, and does this have any 'implcations (like now I have to change the driveshafts too?)
thanx
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Your existing box should do fine, I think the main difference is the gearshift connections on the vehicle (the position of reverse gear in the gate)Top gear is slightly taller on the TD box I think, i dont think there are issues with the driveshafts apart from TD vehicles using stronger ones in the BX/ZX AFAIK splines are the same, just run your existing gear until it gets destroyed by the awesome torque of the TD lump, it might be worth looking at the cooling though.
Stewart
Wookey
(Donor 2019)

Post by Wookey »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oilyspanner</i>

Your existing box should do fine, I think the main difference is the gearshift connections on the vehicle (the position of reverse gear in the gate)Top gear is slightly taller on the TD box I think, i dont think there are issues with the driveshafts apart from TD vehicles using stronger ones in the BX/ZX AFAIK splines are the same, just run your existing gear until it gets destroyed by the awesome torque of the TD lump, <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
OK. I have in fact found that there are a few vehicles where the BE3 is used with the XUD9TE (pug 306,405, 406) so it obviously can work, as you say and as I'd expected, but they don't on any of the larger vehicles (jumpy, jumper, C25, evasion, expert, scudo, Ulysse, ducato, Zeta, 806, boxer).
And according to peugeot which gearbox you have affects which intercooler pipes you need, which seems a bit odd - they are pretty-much the same size and shape, surely?
I too am inclined to stick with the current box and see how it goes. Might spend a lot of time in 5th, but I'm sure I'll survive. I just hope it's not noisier on the motorway- that's the main thing I'm hoping to improve. That and going up hills.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> it might be worth looking at the cooling though.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'm not sure what you mean by this, do you mean gearbox cooling or overall system cooling (the TD will run hotter?). So far as I know there is no gearbox cooling apart from general airflow. The old engine ran quite cool (72C most of the time - never above 80). I'm not sure what onecould do to increase the colling capacity - change the thermostat temp and the fan trip temp? Add a second fan?
A bit of extra heat for the vegoil system would be useful actually - you really want the oil at 80C if possible.
Wookey
(Donor 2019)

Post by Wookey »

Oh Iforgot to say - I got the useful info on engines and gearboxes for all PSA models here:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cache: ... nt=firefox
or the pdf version:
http://www.bolsmotor.nl/nl/prijzennl/sh ... listuk.pdf
Very handy list
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I was prompted to mention cooling because my TZD has a thicker radiator than my non turbo model and two fans as well, still if the stealth camper has a temp gauge you can watch it and see if theres likeley to be a problem.
Stewart