Buying a BX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wonderd</i>

I think the BX is a fine car - cheap to buy, interesting to fiddle with and keeps the owner busy...
The only car I would like to replace my BX with is the Xantia (which i didn't own yet).
Elad.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Got one of them to. It's a supperior car to the BX in most ways, however it still isn't a patch on the CX ... No way would I swap my CX for a Xantia. The xantia follows road cambers, has cr@ppy struts upfront etc, etc ... It's a bit like white goods, does everything acceptably well, but I find it quite boring and uninvolving. I might start calling mine "The Fridge" [}:)] [:D]
seeya,
Shane L.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Stat changed, Heater matrix fine. We get problems here that you don't get in Oz, Shane. condensation for one thing. I've owned more than sixty cars of more than forty types. The CX is not the worst of them but for driving pleasure it is not in the top ten, being comfortably outclassed in the handling stakes by a Landcrab (Kimberly to you).I have already decided that the DS is not for me. Driving a CX tells me that.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

Stat changed, Heater matrix fine. We get problems here that you don't get in Oz, Shane. condensation for one thing. I've owned more than sixty cars of more than forty types. The CX is not the worst of them but for driving pleasure it is not in the top ten, being comfortably outclassed in the handling stakes by a Landcrab (Kimberly to you).I have already decided that the DS is not for me. Driving a CX tells me that.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Please, please, please send your CX to me ... I'd LOVE to get my hands on a CX turbo diesel [:D] Fuel economy and plenty of power [}:)]
My CX2500 GTi Turbo certainly is very quick, it's heater works very quickly and it NEVER runs out of power steering ... They are a bugger to get demisted on a steamy day. Mostly this is due to the lack of effective air-conditioning. The BX and Xantia is difficult to demist too, but you chuck there air-conditioners on and the demist in the blink of an eye [8D]
seeya,
Shane L.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Knowing the weather conditions in the UK and judging on the miles a lot of cars do annually over there, I'd reckon I'd only own a CX if I lived in the UK as a club car.
I have to agree with Tom, as a car in traffic they are a nightmare mainly due to the heat and visibility, a case of horses for courses. I have owned a few and as a highway runner they are a great car, but in our highway situations not UK ones. We forget that a lot of the CXs were never run on a proper anti corrosive coolant and I can remember taking a young female family friend on a run a few years ago in winter time and it was a cold day followed by a cold night. She would have won a wet T shirt competition without the water by the time we got home. It was as cold as chrity and the heaters tended to make it colder because the matrix was full of crap and when I eventually fixed it, we discovered the majority of air was coming straight through and somehow missing the matrix anyway.
It's hard to argue that the CX and Xantia feel more solid than a BX but having said all that, the BX has brilliant air/con and heating, handles as well as anything on the road. On a recent hillclimb, our series one outperfomed and outhandled an Audi that had competed in Targa Tasmania.
The CX was a brilliant and under rated car and to this day will out shine many others on many fronts including comfort and we are still rebuilding a couple for general work as well as club type outings, but for anyone using a car for commuting in a major City in heavy traffic, driving in constant wet and/or cold on greasy and salted roads, no, it's not practical. Club stuff, Sunday drives and the occasional long hike such as a touring holiday, I'd be all for but to be able to hack it in Europe as a daily driver, I would reckon a BX or Xantia would stand head and shoulders above them these days.
Alan S
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Reply to Ian:
These guys have a CX for sale, not sure of model or size: Medway Citroen in Chatham, 01634 849609.
Oscar
Pajator
My Cars:

Post by Pajator »

Hi, now I have my second BX and I think it´s a good car. Even it´s very cheap, it´s comfortable and has good equipement according to the date of born. I bought my BX 16 TOP few month ago (400E) and I´m driving every day without any problems and I am very satisfied. In our country a lot of BX are still using as common cars, in our club (www.bxclub.com) there are about 500 members. It´s true that BX has quite bad reputation but it´s because of people who doesn´t really care about this car. People are scared of hydraulics but it´s not a disease... [:D] My advice - go get it if it´s not a wreckage... [;)]
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

OK, but my friend Pajator forgot to mention the fact that almost every BX owner here dreams of driving a fine, rust-free, well preserved CX or, even better, DS...