Xantia Queries

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Wrinklet1 says "Once both are loose, turn the engine off and put into low position to remove any pressure" thats fine for an early non anti-sink model but for later ones with anti-sink, you have to have the engine running to lower the suspension, on top of that you must let the engine idle for a minute or so while suspension is in low position, if you don't the anti-sink valves will close before the spheres are fully discharged, this will trap some pressure in the suspension spheres and provide you with an oily shower when they are unscrewed[:D]
Dave
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Good to hear that Doug Snr is on the mend, didn't know his son was Doug jnr, I guess that makes them a pair of diggers!!!
I have used Westroen a few times myself, but the only thing is that they us recon spheres normally (Yes I know they do warrant the job, but last time they wouldn't do anything because of ill health), I have passed on work to them recently. I do prefer to use new spheres and do the job myself.
As for the centre sphere, I have been told that the use of gentle heat from a blowlamp does make the job a lot easier and the use of mole grips to act as a stop, to stop the fitting from twisting (dont know myself as my Xantia is a 1993 bog standard system).
Good point Nisk, only open the bleed valve 1 - 1 1/2 turns, My mate was doing his spheres and undid his pressure release bolt all the way, PING, oft it jolly well went, not good, back street cobbled, we were lucky though, because a quick ride to the scrappers, spanner in pocket and a quick search for a replacement spring and ball bearing.
Paul
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Are we back to the discussion about using/reusing spheres again? My '93 XM TD12 still has all it's original spheres, except the accumulator. They have all been recharged every 2nd or 3rd year. (The Accumulator was swapped since its such a bitch to get at!). About 3 years ago I had refill valves fitted to the spheres, which means that they can be refilled without removal - and anyone with a hydractive Citroen can understand the benefits of not having to remove the hydractive and antisink spheres. The car has done over 530,000 km and was still in prime condition when it got wacked by a Volvo FH12.
My replacement, a '98 XM 2.5TD Break was fitted with refill valves as soon as I got it (again, excepting the accumulator sphere which is still on my list of things to do - whats to do is to actually find it! its so full of junk down there - intercooler, oil cooler, hoses, hoses and more hoses!).
//NiSk