Mileage??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

turbolag

Post by turbolag »

It could well be genuinely low mileage. I've just picked up a one owner V reg (that's 5 years old) HDi with only 5400 miles on the clock. The FSH supports the mileage and the sub 1000 miles between MOTs makes for amusing reading.
I last year sold a '91 J reg Astra SRi (spit!) with only 79k miles on it, so low milers are about if people take the time to ferret them out when buying.
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

I've got a 1991 J reg ZX 1.9i Volcane. That has only got 41,000 miles on it. It has full service history and a load of MOT's that all confirm the mileage. I also bought another ZX, a 2.0i 3 Door volcane that has 101K miles on it that i'm using for the 60 mile daily commute.
Ste
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Current cars -
Xantia 2.0 HDi - bought with 37K at 4 years old - so about average.
AX 1.5D - bought with 60K at 8 years old.
Previous best was a H plater Fiesta, one owner 21K miles (bought that 2 years ago when I first started working in Substance Misuse - then a patient nicked it!)[:(]
Wifes grandfathers car (sold on his demise in 2001) B plate Micra with..... 13K from new (one owner FNSH). Only downside was needed an Itallian Tune Up.[:D]
They are out there... you just have to look!
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

You only need to look in Exchange & Mart under 'mileage correction service' to imagine how wide-spread 'clocking' must be. But there are still some very low mileage cars around. My daughter has owned a '98 diesel 306 for three years and its mileometer still only registers 11500 miles.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

do all the numbers line up?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Good lord, its easy to "correct" the milage of a car / bike and make the numbers line up - that is the work of a real numpty clocker to have misaligned didgets.
Last one I corrected was a Honda Bike - after somone tried to nick it it needed a new (second hand) clock - dismantled it and made the milometer read what the old one had shown. I have no idea if i was supposed to notify the DVLA, but I did tell teh new owner and it had its old MOT's so it added up.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

That's typical, the money-grubbing DVLC not giving a toss about mileage being accurate -- so much for anti-clocking etc. But it seems par for the Government apparachiks' extortionate course these days... have found in the last year that so-called Trading Standards (over a conservatory building problem) are sod-all use; and as for the Supreme Court's subsidiary, the (alleged) Court of Protection -- well, anyone with elderly relatives had best advise them not to fall under the clutches of that bunch of faceless jobsworth control-freaking leeches (who, incidentally, have the intention of promoting their "service" as a commercial concern).
It was summed up really in that big 10-hour (in our case, but probably worse for some) traffic jam outside Carlisle on Wednesday** .... from the Authorities there was no proper redirection, no info worthy of the name, PC plod amazingly absent... raises the question of how would they cope with a really big emergency, or are they nowadays all too preoccupied with speed trap profiteering and Stazi-statist surveillance to give a damn anyway?

** Lucky most motorists remained very courteous and good natured, and most HGV drivers were commendably helpful and considerate to everyone else -- wonder just how bad an equivalent jam-up would be down south!