Alot of Oil !!! <---- UPDATE

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Twiss

Post by Twiss »

Well Heres an update;
After degreasing and pressure washing the engine on sat i found that the gear box does seem to of gone, even though the oil doesnt smell( but i do have a cold) it cant be engine oil as my engine oil level hasent gone down which also points to the H/G not gone, Yippee.
Coolant level was a little low in the system but not in the rad, so i topped it up.
the yeloow oil is all round the gearbox and has been spread around the n/side of the engine.
On that note I looked though GSF shop to find the seals but only found the crank seal and clutch do they do the gear box seals?
Plus after all this i jacked the car up and checked the gearbox oil level and no oil dripped out and theres only minamal oil in there. so i am taking to my cusin who is a mechanic to get a second opinion.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Its worthwhile having a good look at the gearbox and seeing if you can tighten up the bolts holding the joints together - like the steel cap over the 5th gear on the end. they shouldn't be excessively tight particularily on the steel cover but should be nipped up quite firmly. You may have a pleasant surprise and find that they have worked loose.
I would expect gaskets to be a dealer part. Replacing the 5th gear cover one wouldn't be difficult but the other joint would be more difficult as the box will have to be split and this isn't a job for the faint hearted. Cutting a gasket for the 5th gear cover wouldn't be difficult either - get the correct paper, put it over the better defined joint and run an oily finger round it to mark it and the bolt holes. Cut the shape out and ideally use a hollow punch to cut the holes.
Jeremy
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

I had my cusin look at the car today and he said he found nothing wrong, he said he had been running around in it and running the engine while he was underneath it but the engine is still dry and clean. there fore he said the gear box has not gone(not blown its seals).
i am still wary of it. so I'am going to keep my eye on it.
How easy is it to remove the turbo oil pipe and air intake pipe ? Pref without removeing the manifold.
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

Hello Yes another update
Well I picked up the car today (where my cusin works) and have found the following things :- the temp gauge has gone up to 90 - 100 i'd say , the fans have not kicked in so my relays or fuses have gone so i;ll go and get some from citroen.(good thing is the Rad is hot all over)after running her home ( 10 miles ) i checked the rad and sqezzed the large colant hose going from the thermo houseing to the top of the RAD and there was no resistance <-- thats normal Right?
I also took off the top air cap of the coolant system (the one on the off side next to the brake resovoir) and no coolant caome out, i also did this to the other cap (the one half way up the engine next to the fuel filter housing) no coolant come out but i didn't remove it totaly so i will check it tomorrow when the engine is cold.
Before the car went into the garage I checked and toped up all fluids in the car.
What parts do i need to order e.g relays and fuses is it just the ones in between the fans? or is ther more relays to replace?
Any ideas!!! :(
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I think you had a near encounter with a frozen or half-frozen crankcase breather pipe and thats what caused all the oil over the engine. Now that its got a bit milder and/or you have cleaned out/blown out the crap (mayonaise) from the pipe - it's running normally again.
//NiSk
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

Oscar Too
After cleaning the engine and giving it a gently ride witha bit of blasting now and a again the leak seems to f
of stopped. the gear box look like for now has sealed it self but i am planning ot out in some slick 50.
first thing i would do is clean the engine then check the levels 9in the gear box and engine, then run around in the car for about 2 days then check levels then check engine and gearbox levels oplus if the oil has returned u should be able to trace it. From what i could tell the leak was coming fromt he back of the gearbox nearest the clutch cable.
sorry to have to contact u this way but my system is not bvery well and is unable to send email proberly so i am doing this from work.
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Hi Twiss
Thanks for this - I shall clean the engine this afternoon and check levels, then check again as you suggest.
Excellent, thanks for help
Oscar