HDi vs V6

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

After a careful reflection, I decided I will go for the V6! [}:)] [:p]
406 V6, só se vive uma vez!
The problem now will be to find one in good condition.
Also, I must find a way to convince my wife... [;)]
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Head says Hdi heart says V6 know the feeling well[}:)]
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

1968?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Almost, -69!
//NiSk
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Tbird, i know someone at Citroën taht might help.
BTW, Saldanha has a V6, though a C5 MKII, from the administrator.
Send me a mail patxi @ sapo.pt
Força!
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stempy</i>

I'd always go for the V6, I know modern diesels are very good and much more economical, but they smell and sound awful, and I don't care much for the power delivery characteristics either.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
How about the smelly sulphur (egg) smell caused by the cat on a petrol engined car - I'd say thats a fair bit more smelly!!!!!
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

It all comes down to economy vs performance. If you want performance, then the V6. If you want economy, the HDi. If you want a bit of both, buy the HDi and remap it.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Buy the HDi, with the $$$$ saved on petrol you could buy a CX2500 GTi Turbo as a second car and really have some fun !!!!! (poor old HDi would sit in the shed and never get driven once the CX was there though).
seeya,
Shane L.
Chrispy
My Cars:

Post by Chrispy »

Coming from a BMW straight 6, which is almost the same, I can safely say the economy is a the biggest killer. Mine was only a 2.0 24v, so not too bad (30mpg on average)but below 3000rpm the car was as flat as a fart....no torque at all. On open roads it was great, and the noise it made was fantastic (especially on full chat at 6,500rpm). I do 75 miles a day though, and with it costing me a grand a year on insurance, and £50 a week on juice I got sick of being skint and bought the chez popper.
Round town it will annoy you as they're simply not torquey enough compared to a HDi which has all it's muscle around 2000rpm, not 5000rpm like in an N/A petrol.
Depends on what your priorities are to be honest. Economy, low down punch and hill climbing/ towing abilities demand a diesel. Open road performance, gorgeous sound and prescence require a V6.
I personally prefer the driving feel of a diesel, well, a tuned one anyway. When I bought the BMW I missed the low down torque so much as I had to push the car so much more to make it go, and when I did the fuel gauge took a nose dive. These days, traffic cops are so keen, you never really get chance to use the proper performace a petrol gives so you might as well have a weasel instead. Which would you rather do...sit at 80mph on the motorway in a V6 doing 25mpg, or the same in a HDi doing 40mpg? I know what choice I'd rather have. Save your pennies, buy a HDi and then spend the £££ you save on other hobbies.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

I'm with you, Chrispy. With our traffic-choked roads I rekon a fast car would be completely frustrating.
Most fun car I had was a Seat Marbella 850. I was given it for free, and yes, it was terrible, but just keeping up with everyone else was a real test of skill.
So, forget V6 and HDi. Get a 2CV.