GIVE WAY!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

My favourite at the moment is the traffic calming where the road narrows to a single lane, and only one side gets priority. This is where all the idiots try to force their way through in a big block of traffic when it's your right of way.
One of these days I've got a good mind to just plough on regardless, however I bet the insurance company wouldn't take my side if I had an accident.
Priority to oncoming traffic means just that in my mind: slow down and check it's safe to go, not put your foot down and try to race through before I have to stop and give way.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

I also have a problem with the T***S that seem to think that can increase speed, and swerve out at me.
They seem to think that they will in this game of chicken intimidate the other driver, well maybe they get a result with some people, and manage to force/dominate their way through.
Although if they try it on with me, then I'll aim my car slightly at them in a F.U.R.B way! [:D][:D]
I will not take this sort of C**P, and normally they are surprised that they have had it done back to them!
So moral of this story is that if they are considerate, then they meet consideration.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ACTIVE8</i>

Although drivers there have to show more consideration, because LEGALLY they will technically always be in the wrong, if they have not shown or exercised due care.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I think you will find that is the case in the UK as well.
If you are advocating the system some europrats want to bring in whereby it will be the drivers fault whatever the pedestrian or cyclist do then you must work for Blames Direct or one of the other ambulance chasers.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think many problems are caused by the obese drivers. This guy's flipped you say but just think about it.
If you watch the obese drive you will see that they have the seat right back and reclined and as a consequence they have very little purchase on the steering wheel when turning corners and tend to go very wide.
The other problem relevant to road junctions is the question of view. At many junctions we find that we sit up and move forward to get a better view. An obese driver cannot do this without at least significant discomfort and if in any event their eyes are a foot or more behind the position of a normal driver you see that they have a nearly impossible task turning out of a junction safely. (just try moving your seat right back, reclining it and then driving!)
jeremy
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">If you are advocating the system some europrats want to bring in whereby it will be the drivers fault whatever the pedestrian or cyclist do then you must work for Blames Direct or one of the other ambulance chasers. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
No I do not work for them!
It is not the same here!
I was born here in the U.K. and I am open to ways of improving a system, where the more vulnerable need extra protection.
The motorist is surrounded by scaffold bars, padding, and air bags.
What protection is there in comparison for the vunerable?
The pregnant lady in the papers here (in the U.K.) that was struck by a car has been injured they still need to see the results of scans to see that the unborn child is OK. She is now being chased for damage to the car by the driver, and her father who are harrassing the pedestrian for the money. If the driver had driven more slowly, instead of aiming her car at the pedestrian, and expecting her to jump out of the way. Then the accident would not have happened!
Holland and Denmark do not have the same problems we have here!
Their accident rates are lower.
If we improved the situation here with subtle changes it would help!
beezer

Post by beezer »

I would go along with Active8. Having spent five years with a push bike as my only mode of transport (after a good few years as a full time truck driver) I have to treat all car drivers as potential killers. The roads are so congested that frustration can cause drivers to act irrationally. Nearly copped it a few times on the bike and I certainly don't chase ambulances.
Jedi

Post by Jedi »

Hi there!
I have been reading posts on this forum for a while and find the posters very knowledgeable and the posts very useful and entertaining as I am also a Citroen Xantia owner. I do not post very often, if at all, on any forum so you will be pleased to know that you will not see many of these. [:)]
As the debate about right of way is still raging I felt compelled to contribute my share. I am a foreign national who has many years of driving experience in various European countries as well as in the UK. I am not saying that driving standards over here are bad just that they are very, very different to driving behaviour elsewhere. I have listed my humble observations as follows:
1.There are no dedicated parking areas on most roads. This leads to cars being parked left, right and centre. Other cars are subsequently forced to dodge parked vehicles on both sides of the road and undertake a slalom to get from A to B.
2. People are happy to park on dual carriageways and double yellow lines. The fact that a parking ban cannot be enforced is beyond me.
3. I can understand your penchant for roundabouts. However, a normal junction where there is clearly no space for a roundabout should not be labelled a roundabout by painting a dot in the middle. This is a hazard. Incidentally, I see people overtake and undertake on bigger roundabouts and I am yet to see a big size roundabout where cars are being guided into lanes.
4. Pedestrians are very vulnerable. Some junctions simply have no traffic lights for pedestrians and so the pedestrians are forced to watch the lights for cars to establish when they can safely cross. In case of normal pelican crossings pedestrian is hardly given a chance to cross the road as the lights will change as fast as lightning (and, believe me, I walk quite fast). From the moment the lights for pedestrians change to red there should be sufficient time for even the oldest and slowest person to cross the road. In the UK, as soon as the lights for pedestrians are red, the cars start driving which confirms my suspicions that everybody seems to be watching somebody else’s road signs rather than their own.
5. This is the point that your poster Active8 has kindly brought to everybody’s attention and I have nothing else to add. Please see his post on right of way for pedestrians and cyclists.
6. Cars tend to park on both sides of the road often facing the wrong way. I have seen cars driving at least 30-50 metres in the wrong lane towards the oncoming traffic because they want to avoid congestion on their side of the road. I have noticed that this is done mainly when one wants to turn right or park further down the road.
And, finally. Dear Homer, you are displaying ignorance with your incoherent and xenophobic comments. You make statements such as “you will find that this is the case in the UKâ€
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">People are happy to park on dual carriageways and double yellow lines. The fact that a parking ban cannot be enforced is beyond me.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I am a foreign national who has many years of driving experience in various European countries as well as in the UK<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
But you've not been to London lately, though??[:)]
The average LB Waltham Forest contract warden will have you ticketed, clamped, and/or towed within 10 minutes, and thats on a slow day.......
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I am yet to see a big size roundabout where cars are being guided into lanes.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">- might I suggest virtually any UK Motorway access roundabout!!
Jedi

Post by Jedi »

bxbodger,
Thanks for your reply. [:)]
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">But you've not been to London lately, though??<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I have lived in London for many years - previously in zone 2 and now in zone 4/5. Where I live currently cars are parked on dual carriageways every single day without being ticketed or towed away. In fact it happens so often that I wonder whether this is just blatant disregard of law because people know that nothing will be done to stop them. I feel that the actual enforcement varies from borough to borough. Perhaps we are just unlucky.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">might I suggest virtually any UK Motorway access roundabout!!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Sorry, I should have clarified this in my previous post. I was referring to most normal roundabouts in towns not the motorway access type. Thanks for pointing this out to me.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Well, all I can say about London parking enforcement where I work, is that when Judge Dredd, as we know him ( I am the LAW....), who patrols the bit of main road outside my office rolls up on his scooter then I am usually in for some parking related entertainment!!!
Laughter at other peoples misfortune being the best sort....[}:)]
landylass
My Cars:

Post by landylass »

Oh whoop diddly eee,Couldnt agree more with Stinkwheel "Try driving a 2cv" Try today! The white stuff has been coming down steady for last 3 hrs, Brains of all are in last minute shop mode. Just been to check sheep and horses , yip in my 2cv. Arghhhhh. Every one out there are potential killers today, 2cv must be in "invisible " mode again.
Rant over.... sorry its a female thing
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> The average LB Waltham Forest contract warden will have you ticketed, clamped, and/or towed within 10 minutes, and thats on a slow day....... <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
OK then how about this then.
Seen on a TV programme filmed in Australia.
At Surfers Parasise in Queensland, they have meter maids who go around in gold bikinis, who feed the meters that are about to run out. So motorists at the beach, apparently do not get a ticket ! [:D]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by landylass</i>
[Just been to check sheep and horses , yip in my 2cv. Arghhhhh. Every one out there are potential killers today, <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I have heard of people being killed by horses, but sheep? I'll have to be <b>really</b> careful![}:)]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Hang on did some one say what I think they said? Parking wardens in bikinis paying for your parking????. In Birmingham where I work not live (no way joesy) the parking works like this in some streets.
Monday half the cars park on one side on the road the other half on the other side of the road. Tuesday they reverse so if you parked out side your house on Monday you now prk on the other side of the road out side the guy who lives opposite.
EG. Monday, -----------
Parking ------------
----------- Tuesday
Parking -----------
Can you see what I mean. And so it goes on. Any one not parking in the right place is towed away after being clamped and fined. Makes me laugh. All these BMW's and Merc's with clamps on. LOL
beezer

Post by beezer »