Synerge 1.9TD excess engine noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Bugger, not as simple as I first though, sounds like the TDC sensor is good after all, to check, disconnect the injector lift sensor with engine running, and then disconnect the TDC sensor as well, the diesel knock should now sound same as with solenoid valve disconnected, rev counter should stop, try it, if so TDC sensor would appear to be good.
TDC is magnetic and not adjustable.
TDC sensor sends crankshaft position information to the ECU, the injector lift sensor sends moment of injection data to the ECU, the ECU software is programmed with the optimum advance value for any given engine speed/load, the ECU adjusts injection timing via the solenoid valve which adjusts fuel pressure within pump body, this pressure acts on a piston which in turn rotates the roller ring, riding against the four rollers are the four axial cams of the cam plate, the cam plate operates the high pressure piston which sends fuel to the injectors, the h/p piston rotates with the cam plate as it reciprocates, a slot in the piston through which the high pressure fuel escapes aligns with the appropriate delivery valve in the distributor head for each injector in turn.
Well you did ask[:I]
Dave
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

The TDC sensor is a hall effect sensor and so measures the change in magnetic flux density due to the teeth on the flywheel lining up with the magnet inside it. Open circuit at high engine speeds it produces a very high voltage output but also has a high impedance so is not dangerous.
ebod
My Cars:

Post by ebod »

...yowsers I din't know these pumps were that complicated !
I'll conduct the plug pulling test tomorrow night but I'm getting freaked that something costly is unfolding ( Clutch had just cost me nearly £300 ! )
All along I've put this prob down to the disturbence the clutch change as brought, but maybe the pump is on its way out.
IF my TDC sensor is okay then what next ? I'll post my test results tomorrow evening
Ta
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

Just found this thread, due to reference elsewhere.
Thanx for those bay pics ebod - this is the closest I've got to seeing a real Expert TD layout so far. Very handy, although there are few things I can't see in your pics, and yours is a later model with an ECU (I don;t trust those things :-). This makes me realise thsat I should widen my scrappy search to include all these MPVs.
Where does the other intercooler pipe go? I see the bit one across the middle of the engine to the manifold on top, but the other end seems to be invisible. Is it under the gearbox?
ebod
My Cars:

Post by ebod »

Hi Wookey,
Although I've had my Synergie nearly 3yrs, I've not needed to do a great deal to it for the 20K miles its covered. Its only needed a cat and some front tyres & pads. This current problem with mine initially appeared for a short time in July then went away soon after. Its been the recent clutch change in December thats 'unearthed' a problem and subsequently forced me to look a bit closer under the bonnet.
Regarding your question, I'm sure there is a plastic formed pipe running under the engine in the shallow bit between sump & flywheel.
There is a Russian site in this forum which shows lots of parts sub-assembly pictires. Try http://www.elcats.ru/peugeot/ for starters
Also, I've seen an ad occasionally appear on ebay by a bloke in Birmingham whose bearing half a dozen 806/Ulysses/Despatches etc. It seems clear to me that you'll not achieve your turbo objective on Xantia parts alone. You'll need all the intercooler assy off an 806/Ulysse/Synergie so Ebay is your best starting point.
Cheers
Ebod
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

Thanx for that. Yes I knew about the russian site - I've been using it extensively! A marvellous resource. If only they would do that for english or french - it would make things slightly easier.
And you were right about ebay (I had looked before but not found much relevant). But just today there is someone breaking an 806-a-like so I've bagsed a load of bits. That should sort me out.