PERSONAL PLATES

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

yes, and no-one SEES you with the washing machine... they don't get a chance to go "look at that tos... cool person with his flash new dyson with two drums etc"
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave Bamber</i>

Mine on the Bling is J20 SDB. J20, June 20th, wedding anniversary. SDB, Sharon and Dave Bamber. All say ahhh![:I]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Not that bad - did the same with Xantia W26 JMR
Wed on 26th - Joanne M Richardson (or Joanne & Marty)
Couldnet get A26 for August
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TomH</i>

yes, and no-one SEES you with the washing machine... they don't get a chance to go "look at that tos... cool person with his flash new dyson with two drums etc"
Probably right Tom, although a washing machine drum on the patio or when we are camping is a common sight, loaded with charcoal, bi=ockwirst, sweetcorn and jacket spuds wrapped in foil [}:)]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D J Woollard</i>

Mike,
Ahh but washing machines aren't the same are they. You'd be off to Comet long before spending all weekend sweating with the heater matrix on a ten year old one!
David
I usually give 'em 15 or 16 years, David!
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">You'd be off to Comet long before spending all weekend sweating with the heater matrix on a ten year old one!
Speak for yourself[:D]
I've spent many a wet (indoors) weekend trying to persuade washing machines to give a few months extra service.
The last occasion involved drum bearings which were more obstinate than the BX wheel bearing I did a while ago (or the matrix for that matter). Ended up having to split the housing to release the bearing and repair it afterwards.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Do you know I spend much of my life repairing things others would get shot of...but I stop short at washing machines (and mowers to think of it). I'll give them one simple repair with a part up to £40 and then they're out the back door.
Too much sharp metal and they mostly seem to need doing upside down so the remaining water soaks the floor and your knees.
David
beezer

Post by beezer »

I made a few bob repairing machines on the Isle of Mull. I was there three days a week spending the rest of the time in Glasgow so was able to get spares easily. They are tinny things with sharp edges like David says but they are simple and easy to fix. If they are retaining water it is usually the pump motor or pressure switch at fault. Most often they can be drained without messing the floor. There is a guy in Ayrshire who has a yard full of old machines. Just like a car breakers. We both agreed that the Americans had the right idea. Top load so no bearing strain. Europeans use side load to save space and water. American ones only need a license plate on the back - or is that cars?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Washing machines used to be much like Citroens in their awkwardness of fixing- new ones are great, however!
When I did the bearings on our current one there was a big clamping band and rubber seal around the back of the drum, remove that and it was all out in less than twenty minutes! There was none of the old wrestling with springs and lumps of concrete[:)].
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My parents have top loading washing machines, my Dad insists upon them.
They're more difficult to load / unload, but they don't get the door seal or bearing problems that side loaders can have. They do however still have lumps of concrete and big springs to wrestle with.
beezer

Post by beezer »

Some of the more ecologically minded Americans are using machines with the drum on a horizontal axis but they load from a door in the top (I have seen one like this over here). This means you can use two bearings but still save water. Normal top loaders require enough water to cover the washload. Side loaders don't need to.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Seen on a Volvo, and not a performance model! [:D][:D] RAC 3R
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My parents have always had horizontal axis toploaders.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> My parents have always had horizontal axis toploaders. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Abbreviated that's H.A.T.S [:D][:D] LOL
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Number plate for japanese cars
R1 CER [:)]
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Other plates seen are L333 SAX on Ronnie Storm's Mercedes SL.
Ronnie plays the saxophone for a living, and is in the record books as being the only person to play three at once.
Steve Gardiner of Chippenham, Wiltshire has P20 SAC on his Porsche Boxster. He says that the "prozac" plate reminds him of an ex.
SON 6S is on offer for £50,000. How much ! Meant to read as SON GS.
S6 RSE is on a Smart car. Meant to be read as SARSE smart arse !
Also there is a OBO 10X. Meant to be read as "Oh B******S.
Private plates who needs them !
I would rather have the money, [:D] that these people are throwing away