how long does a xantia battery last?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tj
My Cars:

Post by tj »

tj<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JohnCKL</i>

Malaysian batteries lasts only 1-2 years. Perhaps its the hot weather which evaporate the water. Maybe we should source for Varta batteries too, if we can find them locally.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
My old BX seems to go through 1 battery/year right on time, no matter how well it is maintained. Must have something to do with the fact that over here aircon is on full blast all year round, the cooling fans work hard too.
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Oh, yeah, air-con on 100% of the time and cooling fans on half of the time too as coolant temperature reaches 95C when driven hard. Average 85 to 90C. I'm on my GP DIN66 MF battery for almost 2 years now. Still OK but then I don't drive much nowadays.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

This reminds me of the guy I over heard recently in a shop saying that his car would never breakdown.
"It allways starts" he said.
So I burst out laughing when we get outside, and the car wouldn't start, the battery was flat.
The shop had now shut !
The best bit was that he had seen a power pack earlier, and had also said earlier, when his son had suggested it could be handy to have in the boot, that he, "does not need it," and that his jap car was reliable, and never has a problem with anything. [:D]
Maybe next time, he won't be praising the car so much, anything can have problems.
I remember on 5th Gear that they had an Aston Martin that kept on throwing it's poly belt, when Vicki Butler Henderson gave it some boot, from a stand still with steering turned it came off twice, and the technicians attended in a helicopter, with their service manager.
So, because the car was being filmed, they attended in the helicopter, and assured the film crew, and her that it was now O.K.
It must be very embarassing to come back, and fix the car again, and tell a journalist not to use so much power, on a sports car ! [:D]
She reported this on the programme, and basically anything can go wrong, and or breakdown. This is something that the conceited Japanese car owner should now remember. [:)]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Planning on changing the battery on the Xantia ( coming up to 5 years ols and on very cold days slow turnover) - apart from the obvious with the ECU unlearning my driving style are there any other problems (aftermarket radio, so no problems there) - or should I get a battery saver and plug it into the fag lighter socket whilst swapping teh batteries?
Was going to fit a Bosch Silver HD battery.
Any thoughts anyone?
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

One precaution worth taking when changing the battery on any car with central locking is not to leave the keys in the car when you connect the new battery. Its not unheard of for central locking to spontaneously lock all the doors as the new battery is connected.