Xantia Newbie - A few questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

anno888
My Cars:

Xantia Newbie - A few questions

Post by anno888 »

Hi all,
As the title says I am new to the Xantia world. Bought my first yesterday.
Anyway, there is a high pitched humming sound coming from the rear of the car. It sounds like the wheelarch areas. It is a constant humm and wondered if this was normal. It's not very load and you have to listen for it but its there.
Also, the LHM fluid indicator is way past the red line (too much fluid) is this a problem and does it effect the braking as the brakes are very toutchy (ie off or on). If so how do i drain the fluid.
Hopefully someone can help.
Cheers all.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Hi,
Welcome to the world of Xantias!
I'm not sure about the 'humming' - it's not normal in my experience.
Could be a noisy wheel bearing perhaps, or the exhaust contacting the underpan slightly, otherwise there's not much to make a noise. Try jacking up the back and spinning each rear wheel.
As far as LHM level goes, did you check it with the car stabilised on maximum suspension height? At lower heights, the fluid will rise, and the indicator will contact the top of the dome. Even if it is too high, it won't do any harm, but might make a bit of a mess.
The brakes sound normal for Citroen, especially Xantia. Unlike most vehicles, your foot's on a control valve which operates the brakes by hydraulic pressure, and it does seem very 'positive' until you get used to it - but you will!
cheers,
dave.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Does the humming happen when the car is stationary or only when it's moving?
The only things in the rear of the car that could make noise are the brakes and the wheel bearing, and they'd only make noise when the car is moving.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

If it's hydractive, it could be the rear valve
anno888
My Cars:

Post by anno888 »

Thanks for your replies.
The humming seems to be constant, even while not in motion. I will take the car out for a drive and see if I can pinpoint this hummm!
Thanks again
pete_wood_uk
My Cars:

Post by pete_wood_uk »

I don't think that a '93 SX will be hydractive. Is there a fuel pump at the back on the petrol models, or was that an "innovation" that came along much later with the HDi diesels? (Fond memories of thumping SU fuel pumps in boots of Minis as a teenager... :-)).
Pete
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pete_wood_uk</i>

I don't think that a '93 SX will be hydractive.
Pete
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Your right Pete, I never noticed what model it was[:(][:(]
anno888
My Cars:

Post by anno888 »

Well,
I have been out in the car again and the humm is definately coming from the rear around the wheel arch. It really isn't anything major, but I was curious. I thought it may have been a hydraulic pump working overtime due to a potential leak but I'm sure i was wrong.
DervDonkey
My Cars:

Post by DervDonkey »

Probably the fuel pump then. It's not supposed to run continuously though - only when needed. There's a control relay for this purpose under the bonnet, this might have welded its contacts shut, or the previous owner might have replaced a faulty one with a piece of wire... It's been a while since I owned a petrol Xantia, so I'm not sure of the exact location of this relay, but I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction if this turns out to be the problem.
anno888
My Cars:

Post by anno888 »

I have checked the height of the LHM fluid with the car in the highest position and the engine off and the indicator is still at its maximium position, way over the red lines. Does it matter if the engine is on or off and how do I drain the excess fluid?
Thanks
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by anno888</i>

I have checked the height of the LHM fluid with the car in the highest position and the engine off and the indicator is still at its maximium position, way over the red lines. Does it matter if the engine is on or off and how do I drain the excess fluid?
Thanks
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Dont worry about this - if there is TOO much fluid it will exit via the overflow. It wont affect brakeing etc. Mines done this from day 1 and if I whip the filler off and check the fluid its fine.
If your really concerned about it then draw off some fluid with a syringe (50ml type if you can get one from a friendly hospital or pharmacy - otherwise you can pick one up from any needle exchange or chemist upto a max of 10ml) Or a turkey baster would do the trick too....
Anyway - if drawing some off check the colour and condition - should be yellowy green (depending on brand of LHM) murky brown means its passed it and needs changing.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

The Haynes book says "with engine running,set to max height".As Marty says,i think that if it were to full,any excess lhm would drain out of the overflow.Thats the thin pipe coming out of the middle of the lhm tank.Before you ask,the pipe just hangs down the side of the tank.The float isn`t stuck is it?Mines been stuck since i changed the lhm.
The brakes as Dave said,are a bit on or off on the Xantia.It does take a bit of getting used to at first.But once your used to them,getting in another car will feel strange when you brake.[:)]
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Give yourself time to adjust to Cit's very sensitive braking.
My lot complain about the way I over-react to the other car's non-Citroen braking by stamping on the apparently-unresponsive brake.
The other bit of bizarre behaviour I had difficulty accepting is that I can floor the brake pedal. In any other car that would suggest a system crisis!
Don't be alarmed by the apparently overfull LHM.
One day soon you will find yourself becoming a Cit fanatic.
Welcome to our world!
anno888
My Cars:

Post by anno888 »

I love her already, why?
Her engine is a little rough (compared to my string of corolla's)
The clutch is a little jerky, although a long squirt of WD40 on the clutch pedal pivot has cured the worst of it.
She seems quite complicated and will probably be high maintenence.
So then.........after one day of ownership why am I so attracted to her already.
I think she has a soul, she breathes and it's her little idiosyncricies(spelling!) that demand your attention.
Enough of my rant.
Getting back to the humm sound from the rear of the car. Supposing it is the fuel pump constantly working away, how do I rectify the problem. Had a quick look in Hanes Manual but couldn't find what I was after.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I wouldn`t say they are any more expensive to run than a "normal" car.I brought mine 3 yrs ago this xmas with 105k on it.Apart from routine servicing,oil,filters belts,tyres etc,all i`ve had to do is 2 sets of front disks,(warped)radiator,a/c regass & a new rear h/corrector & accumulator(?)sphere.If you can do most of it yourself,then its a cheap car to run.I still haven`t had to change the suspension spheres yet.Although if you can diy,or find a indie garage that doesn`t charge for fitting,all of them will cost about the same as a set of 4 shocks for a "normal" car.If you need help or advice,this is the place.I`ve learnt so much since i joined.
As for the humming,its just a thought.What side is it coming from?It may be that the backbox has a slight leak/hole in it,causing it to resonate(?)a bit.My wifes Fiesta recently needed a new back box.When driving it it sounded like a deep bass tone.Out of the car,it sounded fine,no extra noise at all.But the pipe at the rear of the back box had rusted away & the centre section of the exhaust was just hanging there.BUT,it sounded fine outside,but not in the car.
Just a thought.