Supplying parts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

P 2501

Supplying parts

Post by P 2501 »

How do you guys stand here on the issue of supplying parts to an independent garage for them to fit?
While i do my own basic servicing like oil changes,fuel filters etc, i don't have the confidence/ability to tackle say, a cambelt change. Mine is coming up soon and would it be out of order to supply the belt,tensioner,waterpump,pulley and cam seals to my local independent and ask them to fit?
I am aware that if the motor goes bang then they will not be liable, but i was wondering if anyone here does this?
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Independents vary in their attitude, some will, some won't. Where the parts are relatively high value, as here, I don't think that they would have a problem with it, especially as they won't be held up for parts. I'd let them source and supply the belt, though. I think that for such an engine critical part as this, they would be happier if you let them use their own discretion and would take it as an indication of your trust and good faith..
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I do my own work, but I have some friends at the railway arch end of the trade, and they are only too happy for people to supply their own parts- they like nothing better than a car with the bits in boxes on the passenger seat!!! (apart from beer.....)
Its a lot less hassle for them, and saves them having to source the parts themeslves, particularly with percieved oddballs like citroens. When space is limited, there are over-active wardens about, etc, they can get straight on with the job without waiting for the parts van and having punters cars sitting around taking up space.
You also have the benefit of knowing where the parts came from.
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Thanks alot for the replies. I think i will go ahead and buy the parts beforehand (after checking with the garage of course) and leave them on the passenger seat.
Is there anything else that needs to be done at 100K (second cambelt change)while they are in there? i was going to get a waterpump,tensioner,idler pulley and cam seal.Oh, and the belt.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I think that you may be being overprudent. The tensioner and idler have been known to let go at around 170,000 (If anybody knows better, please correct me!) so I'd be inclined to have just the belt done and maybe the water pump.What's the car BTW? If a
Diesel then at 100,000, the radiator needs to be flow checked and probably replaced before the other stuff needs doing, the Fan switch too.
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Hi Tom. The car is a 306 xtdt (1997) I would have posted this in the peugeot forum, but this forum seems busier.
Perhaps i am being over cautious, but what is an extra 40 quid ish on top of a cambelt change - i don't mind paying and it's good to know that this ultra important part of the engine is in good order.
The radiator was replaced earlier at about 50k and 5 years, so i think the new one should be ok. the engine certainly isn't overheating anyway.