Xantia clutch cable help needed!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

Post by Jon »

Whats the RP number of your Xantia? I'll look into it. What part numbers have Citroen given you for the cables that you have?
Jon

Post by Jon »

The RP (replacement parts) number is how what we used to use to decide the build date of the car, and therefore what parts are fitted to it. Its still very useful as though Citroen use Chassis numbers now for Parts lookup, all of the parts detail on older cars is still done by RP number.
Its a 4 figure painted code, you'll find it under the bonnet probably on one of the inner wings, if you are lucky it will also be written in the Service Book. If your car is a 1997, the number you are looking for ia a 4 figure code beginning 7.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Ok! Your RP number is 7268 meaning your car was built on 2/10/96 and was fitted with manual adjust cable.
This cable will be Citroen 96137580 or GSF N71526. I can't see any other clutch cable options listed for your car.
I reckon that the manual adjust cable the dealer gave you was the TD & <b>2.0 16v </b>type 96137579 and thats why it was different, when you said 16v I guess he thought that the 1.8 and 2.0 16v used the same cable. WRONG! [;)]
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Dave, I would try and get a refund for the cable citroen gave you at first in error: You gave them the chassis number and all the other stuff they asked for, but still gave you a part which didn't fit your car. If the moderator can ask a few simple questions then send you the correct cable then why the bloody hell can't the people who made the sodding car do the same? This is so typical of car parts centres in general, most of the time they haven't got a clue. Do they actually train their staff?
all the best
dan