Galvanised wheels?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jonathan_dyane

Galvanised wheels?

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Ok, here's a new one...
I am sick to death of horrible rusty wheels, and the messing around required to make them nice, *and* also sick of my wheeltrims falling off to reveal them.
SO, is it possible to have wheels galvanised? This would solve the rusting, and look smart, but is there a reason I haven't seen this before? Will it buckle the wheels or somehow compromise the strength?
Just a thought...
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

I've seen some things galvanised over the years, gates, large transformer cooling radiators etc. These are mainly dipped into the molten metal then hung up, you get runs and the thickness varies which would make balancing a problem. hope this helps. john
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Why not ?
We have been doing so for years here in DK.
Some £30 a set of 4 at my local sander/galvaniser.
Sanded clean and then spray (!) galvanised in a heat gun process, fast & cheap.
No - it's NOT paint - it's melted zinc sprayed on !
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Spray on galvanising will certainly help. Galvanic plating, or hot dip galvanising does sometimes distort components but in the case of a sturdy item like a wheel rim (Nurse- more pills, I just used the word sturdy in a Citroen posting!)it shouldn't make a big difference to anything except weight. Surface texture will change, which may cause fitting difficulties with wheel and tyre but as long as it is all nicely stoved afterwards, it seeems like a good idea.
samcro

Post by samcro »

My dad works at a galvanizers and he had 2 trailer wheels (ex mini) galvanised. Seems to work fine, though they don't keep the shiny metallic galvanised look. They turn a dull grey colour and salt on the roads brings out fine white oxide powder, a bit like on aluminium.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If you laquered the wheels after they'd been galvanised they wouldn't oxidise. You could try painting them too which would have similar results.
samcro

Post by samcro »

Yep, thats always an option. One word of advice though... Fresh galvanising needs an etch primer to make paint stick properly. If it's been weathered a bit then you can get away without it.
Could even powdercoat them!
Shameless plug:
For any of you in Scotland, Highland Colour coaters in Cumbernauld can do galv and powder coat together.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

An etch primer makes the zinc go black, so there would be no point in trying to laquer it, it would look horrible.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

just get um chrome plated! lol[:D]
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

My local spares shop do packs of 4 wheeltrims for a tenner, in a good range of styles. My current ones are quite Citroenesque, being almost solid, and not trying to look like alloys!!
I used to do roller shutters years ago, and we regularly took them to a galvanisers-it was like hells kitchen, god knows how the blokes who worked there could stick it!!!!
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Thanks guys; rather encouraging [:)]
I know of a place that does cheap shotblasting, now I just need to try and find a kindly galvanizer, or, better again, someone who works at one...
But first I need a matching set of wheels. I have the plain type, the small hole type *and* the big hole type. I like the no-holers the best.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

why not just cable tie the trims on?? or use 15" Steelies & Xantia trims
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Are these for the BX? Unholesome ones are not the best choice for them because the Turbo is much nicer if it has well cooled brakes.
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Am I unusual in owning Bxs and Xantias (often 2 at a time)and now a Xantia and a Berlingo, for the last 17 years and never yet ('til tomorrow!!) lost a wheel trim?? And I don't tie them on. Always put it down to the fact that they were held on by the wheel nuts rather than the rims as in other cars
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

PS Think I might still have a set of trims from a Mark 1 BX somewhere at the back of the shed if anyone wants them.