Rattle/Noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shezads

Post by shezads »

Ok - got a replacment pump from a peugeot/citroen breaker. There are two pumps for this particular engine. (1.9td, non aircon) zx/306 td, 6 groove pulley).
I went to the main dealer (Citroen) - asked them what the difference was - they say as far as they can tell - just the pulley. One is 117mm diameter, one is 135mm.
The 117mm is used on xsara's and berlingos also, again - on Xud diesel engines, non aircon.
The one the mechanic has taken off is rattling (as you can see from above). But the mechanic has said that when it is fitted there is no adjustment for the belt - it is that tight, so I'am guessing this is the 135mm one. He said it may be better to get the pump with the smaller pulley as long as the rest is the same.
Went to a citroen independent to see if he had any used pumps. No luck there, but he did say that the smaaler one should fit as long as the off set is the same - as altogether - there are 4-5 different pumps.
Went to the pug breaker - told him what I needed, asked about the pulley - and he confirmed that it should be ok. I had my older pump with me - found one with a smaaler pulley of the same engine.
Mathed them up - and the fittings are in the right place, the offset seems to be right too, just a smaaler pulley (6 groove), so seems ok. The pump is off a newer vehicle, don't know what age exactly - but this pump looks a lot newer (and I don't mean its just been polished up a bit!).
Looking at the two pumps, the difference, apart from the pulley size, is that the old one seems to be a sealed unit, whereas the newer replacment one can be opened up (bolts etc).
£50 later - tken it back to mechanic - fits on the car ok - should also give an inch or so adjustment now due to the pulley size.
Will find out very soon, if offset is the right one - when the belt is fitted.
The wishbones / ball joints, cv boot have all been fitted. Just looking to see where I am getting two leaks from (one oil, one is coolent).
The coolent one seems to leak intermittantly - only when the temp of the engine is around 90-ish - where is starts dripping from near the gear box area - cannot trace as of yet - no hoses are leaking.
The engine oil is very slight - does not lose oil - but you can see it on the bottom oill pan. Seems to be coming from close to wherever the collant is leaking from (probably rocker cover gasket?)
So - almost done - and nearly £300 quid lighter [V].
But the car has never let me down, and most of this is wear and tear so, I know the rest of the car is solid. Its fun to drive[:D], nippy so I can really think of a good replacment for it anyway.
P.s. anyone know what pas fluid to use to top up? What grade etc?
Still no idea where the reddisg coppery dust is coming from - alternator theory proved wrong.
shezads

Post by shezads »

*******************Update again*********************************
Power steering pump on - runs fine - engine quiet once again!!
Going to get the tracking sorted tomorrow, steam clean the engine - trace the oil leak.
The coolant leak is a bit of a mystery. When it gets up to temperature - about 90-ish c it will sometimes leak some coolant from the back of the engine - above the gear box. Checked hoses - all seem fine.
It is worse when the radiator is full. It will leak the coolant when hot - until 2/3rds of the way down on the radiator where it will settle. I don't appear to have an air lok - as I'am getting hot air in the cabin.
Any ideas?
shezads

Post by shezads »

****************Another update**********************
<b>Is anyone interested or am I typing away like a madman for nothing?</b>[:o)]
<i>No, don't answer that.....</i>
Steam cleaned the engine bay yesterday, and underside of the car, to locate where the coolant and oil leaks are coming from.
As stated earlier the oil leak is very slight, but I would like to diagnose early on, to see if it is likely to lead to major proble,s - in which case I can get it sorted asap, rather than wait and it leads to something big going wrong.
Checked coolant level - was fine. Took it to a tyre place to get the tracking sorted now that the wishbones have been changed.
Then drove the car for 20 miles or so, to make sure everything is ok. Coming home and te temp needle rises to about 95ish, heater suddenley blows cold air, (great thats all I need) Pull over immediatley, have a look and the fans are trying to cool the engine - let them cut out - temp drops to 90 again - but there is still cold air coming from the heater. Turn engine off, check coolant level - it's right at the bottem of the radiator - which is cold to the touch. Let the car cool for twenty or so minuates - get some water from a garage 200 yards down the rad - fill up radiator, try to bleed system - I get water coming out of two of the bleed points (the one attached to the heater matrx pipe, and the one close to the thermostat), but not on the third which is the one on the radiator - try squeezing pies - no good. Getting hot air once more through the heater - temp is on about 80 - rises to 90 (its usual place)in traffic - and stays there. Look under the car - and it is dripping coolant all the time now. Same place as before - back of the engine.
Drive home and park up, still dripping coolant - although temp needle and heater blower motor all behaving as they should. Will take to the garaf=ge tomorrow - at leas the leak is not intermittant anymore, so should get to the bottom of this.
Any idea what pipe this could be coming from, not very esy to see.
As the engine came out to rdo head about 2000 miles ago, am thing possible hose on the back that mechanic either hasn't fastened on properly, or hose is damaged.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Yes we are interested but what started off as a rattle problem has now turned into a cooling problem in the same thread. What happens is that people look at the thread and say 'not one for me' and leave it. They may have something to say on cooling problems but of course without reading the whole thread they don't know what the current problem is.
Answer may be to start a new thread.
Sounds as though the best thing would be toget someone to put one of those diagnostic pumps on the radiator cap, pump up and see where the water is coming from. Alternatively if simply have a really good look at the back of the engine with a torch and a mirror - you may be able to see whats happening that way but it probably gets a bit involved around the turbo. The heater hoses both appear to come off the back of the engine. The water pump may be worth a look as well.
Another way of pressurising the system nay be to connect it to a garden hose via a heater pipe or similar but be careful as they can run at 70 psi or more rather than the 15 of your cooling system.
jeremy
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Shezads,
This may well be totally off the wall so don't get too optimistic, but here you go.
My BX developed a scarey coolant leak from somewhere deep behind the engine while I was 1000 miles from home. I had visions of total engine death, stranded.
I groped around from underneath and found that there was a rubber blanking plug on the back of the engine block where apparently on some alternative model there was a hose to somewhere. It was dozed and leaking.
About 50p later I was back on the road happy.
Can you actually SEE where the coolant is coming out or are you just observing where it drops to the ground?
PJ
PJ
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Hi,
You need to get the front of the car up on ramps or stands securely.
Then top up the water, start the engine, and armed with a strong torch and a mirror on a stick,crawl underneath, and inspect.
Could be comming from a variety of locations, hoses, rubber or metal, water pump, perforated core plug/s on engine block or head, diesel heater on block if it has one or head gasket Gosh...
Good luck
shezads

Post by shezads »

Thanks for the help guys, will be in the garage tomorrow up on the ramp so hopefully will try to sort it.
Will start a new thread - I promise...just thought info all together would help repeat posts/ future searches on the forum.