Bad weather fat car?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I've owned several 4x4's and found that they're great for off roading, rubbish to the tip etc [:D]. But for the daily to and from work they ain't the best car on the road [:(]. Before I forget this morning some MP was going on about how the humble 4x4 should now come with a health warning for the environment. His reason "because they are bigger all round and there for damage the environment and pedestrians,". Lets not mention all the other 'BIG' cars on the roads shall we. Again this list is of drivers who don't know how big their car is,
ANY LEXUS!!!!!!
ANY BMW!!!!
ANY MERC!!!!
ANYAUDI!!!!.
You may see a pattern but it's just your imagination that the luxury car market seems to enjoy the biggest amount of inconciderate drivers [}:)]. Lets not forget the humble Nissan Micra or Rover 100 (metro) or those Citroen SAXO's that all seem to be VTR's or VTS's but driven by half blind and yet fully deaf 'yuff's' who drive up your backside regardless of road conditions, weather or speed limits and or cameras.
AH, driving don't you just love it [:D][:D]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stuart McB</i>
Again this list is of drivers who don't know how big their car is,
ANY LEXUS!!!!!!
ANY BMW!!!!
ANY MERC!!!!
ANYAUDI!!!!.
You may see a pattern but it's just your imagination that the luxury car market seems to enjoy the biggest amount of inconciderate drivers [}:)]. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It is called Mike's law, Stuart:<b>
The standard of driving is inversely proportional to the perceived value of the vehicle.</b>
What is the first thing to when you buy a big expensive car?
Try to bend it [}:)]
Apparently [}:)]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

There also is an inverse relationship between car size and poor road positioning, hence fat 106s and Metros, re the 4x4 thing 25 mpg was too much for me but I used to enjoy my Land Cruiser, these days agressive driving is the norm, overtaking both sides around roundabouts, poor road manners foglights on all the time, perhaps I need to drive a truck again;) I am seriously put off motorcycling these days though.
Stewart
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

As the D.V.L.A saw fit to exercise control with regard to the safety of motorcyclists (new riders) with tests, and reduce the accident rate.
Then surely the same logic should be applied to 4 X 4's.
Usually the driving lessons/exam are conducted in a small car.
The person who has just passed their test can now drive (according to their licence) a 4 X 4, but obviously in practice they are not up to the challenge, as are many drivers who have not just qualified, but drive like they might as well just have.[:D]
Surely the competance to drive such a vehicle should be checked, and then the accident rate involving 4 X 4's would also be reduced.
Due to the problems with these oversize vehicles, and if a driver wants to progress to one. Then they should be educated about the physics of a larger vehicle. The increased braking distance, steering response being slower, the much higher centre of gravity etc are some of the many points that could be demonstrated to the driver!
Or maybe they should wear a provisional 4 X 4 plate on the car until they are competent enough. Then you and I could give them the same wide berth, that they need to stick their status symbol in when parking.
On Hill St Blues one of the actors would say, " Lets be careful out there." It's a pity in general that people are not![:(!]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Been on one of those 4x4 week ends, great fun. they teach how to use the vehilce in off road situations. Up hill you couldn't walk up, through water up to the windows that kind of thing. Aswel as all this you get taught about braking and avoiding accidents, towing and parking. All good stuff. Never had any problems with any vehicle I've driven and I have one of the old licence's so I can drive quite a few.
landylass
My Cars:

Post by landylass »

I too drive a now hated 4x4, as well as the 2cv, The disco is used for the purpose it was intended ie, sheep and lambs transport bags of feed bales of hay straw or whatever, and getting around the fields. What I have found though since "Brian the speedy snail" came to live with us is I have taken to road rage!! The smattering of snow and ice we had last week brought out every numptie that has a licence(& some that shouldnt)Includins a total D*** Head in his probe thingy who viewing the world through a football sized hole scraped in his windscreen and side window pulled out on me , he then proceeded to gesticulate and follow me so closely that when I indicated and turned left, he almost took off my rear offside. Have had the same geezer wave me out in the disco, no intimidation then. When the series 3 is back on the road, I will wait for the plonker to pull out on me, and rearrange his probe! lol. I keep getting picked on in the 2cv, and my stress level are up level with the stars. Dont all " awwww" at once. Thinking of emailing clarkson and challenging him back up the mountain, diso v 2cv (I wont need all his back up crew)just a couple of guys to lift her out of the bogs if necessary.